Discovery 200tdi into Defender

donb

The downpipe was a bear. I ended up taking it to a dude that does a lot of resto-mod work.

I finally finished the exhaust today. I used a bunch of scrap pieces including a flex section but had 2 new V-Bands from Summit. What is slick about these V-Bands is the pipe doesn?t have to go all the way through. They welded up nicely too.

I made 2 sections for easy access. With a cordless impact I can have it off in seconds.

Flex section:
d58c70befc5876d3af1b7cd7d0f19d30.jpg

Downpipe:
e1dce0c6a11c84847a7ea0eecab34c9a.jpg

Installed - no great way to take pics of it:
15ee338056b273b1ce39a7468c8aaab0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
I love my 100% V band exhaust.

I hope I don't spoil your party here but there are two different types of flex section. One is rated for near a turbo and one is not.

I have a turbo rated Style near the downpipe and a standard one on the rear.

donb

I love my 100% V band exhaust.

I hope I don't spoil your party here but there are two different types of flex section. One is rated for near a turbo and one is not.

I have a turbo rated Style near the downpipe and a standard one on the rear.

Damn - never knew that about flex sections. This flex is about 14-16? away from the turbo it sure if that is far enough. I got it from siliconeintakes.com and it seemed to be nice quality (it welded up nicely). If it fails I?ll just stitch a new one in. The twin flex sections you have sounds like the proper setup.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
This is the exact same boat I was in. when it got welded up I actually had the cheaper Flex section up front cuz it felt more flexible. Little did I know and we had to remake the front section the good news is they're both doing fine.

my exhaust is rigidly mounted to my lt230 and to the rear crossmember with two flex sections allowing for vibration and a rubber hanger over it .

It's 3 inch turbo back with no Muffler, body exit in the rear. the great thing about the V Dans is it blows out you can easily replace it so it's not really a huge deal.

Great looking setup

donb

I spent way too long making an EGT plate but I?m pretty happy with how it came out. All stainless ;)

91b1878eddc88079fa9ad4aaa3bf93db.jpg

fd8a2812b6c5330362fd012018f0feb1.jpg

donb

My only complaint with the disco 200 is that its the hardest/biggest pita of the rover diesels to do the timing belt on.

A couple of minor tweaks like remove the T fitting off the turbo and run that straight to the ip but pull the wastegate signal from the intake manifold, tune the fueling, and they are great powerplants.
This turbo technics setup should be very cool. Love to hear your driving impressions.

Trying to button things up and forgot that I have the line coming off the IP. The Turbo Technics setup has a line off the turbo that feeds the waste gate and no T fitting.

Any ideas?

AdamSanta85

Trying to button things up and forgot that I have the line coming off the IP. The Turbo Technics setup has a line off the turbo that feeds the waste gate and no T fitting.

Any ideas?

Install a T fitting

Red90

Really? The kit must have a way to get boost pressure to the injection pump. Are you sure you are not missing something?

donb

Really? The kit must have a way to get boost pressure to the injection pump. Are you sure you are not missing something?

I just took another look - there was a T fitting on a brass adapter coming off the inlet side. I must have broken the piece when installing (it?s really close to the bulkhead). Kind of sucks but with no room I?ll put a 90 degree in and a T fitting where there is a little more room. Late night when I looked at it and not being familiar with the setup I guess. Thanks for the help!

AdamSanta85

I just took another look - there was a T fitting on a brass adapter coming off the inlet side. I must have broken the piece when installing (it?s really close to the bulkhead). Kind of sucks but with no room I?ll put a 90 degree in and a T fitting where there is a little more room. Late night when I looked at it and not being familiar with the setup I guess. Thanks for the help!

You think you are still going to make the trip? Getter done. I am heading out tomorrow AM

donb

You think you are still going to make the trip? Getter done. I am heading out tomorrow AM

I?m off to get my trailer rental from UHaul - of course they just called and said it?s at a location 10 miles further away.

I might just stay up all night to finish. It?s close just a lot of little stuff.

JPaulin

I?m off to get my trailer rental from UHaul - of course they just called and said it?s at a location 10 miles further away.

I might just stay up all night to finish. It?s close just a lot of little stuff.

NICE!!

donb

I?m not making the VOR :(

I tried to get everything done in time but custom making brackets (no time to order), IC piping and wiring took me too long.

Then the new electric fuel pump took a shit. Finally tested and installed the old one and it started right up. That?s the good news.

Added coolant and it?s leaking. I mistook 2 broken timing cover bolts as dowels. Engine on the stand I could have brought it to the torch and weld nuts on and pulled. It?s going to be harder now.

PS lines are messed up too. I ordered 3 different ones per the LR parts manual figuring at least one would fit. The PS pump on a 200tdi Discovery has different threads than anything. I grabbed some PS pipes and reservoir from my brother in laws RRC and that high pressure hose has the correct pump fitting but the configuration doesn?t fit.

On the plus side I?m pretty happy with how the exhaust turned out. Clearance seems good and the pipe underneath is nice and straight. I might add another flex pipe like Napalm has on his.

The IC piping seems good for just a bunch of 2? stuff I ordered and pieces I had.

The radiator lines worked well too. I will take pictures and detail what I did to make it work.

Pic of the engine bay when I called it quits last night:

b32280da04db4616a8da847116766b86.jpg
9248edba0e2987e0513e75558d581adc.jpg
462e44bfd787b5ce573f20bef2292255.jpg

Red90

Lovely work.

This is why I always use Defender engines. One relaxing weekend to install while drinking beer and zero custom parts.

With LHD, it makes much more sense to put the PS reservoir on the left side. The lines end up being very short and you don't run into those pesky starvation issues when it is really cold out.

donb

Lovely work.

This is why I always use Defender engines. One relaxing weekend to install while drinking beer and zero custom parts.

With LHD, it makes much more sense to put the PS reservoir on the left side. The lines end up being very short and you don't run into those pesky starvation issues when it is really cold out.

Thanks Red - that means a lot and many thanks for helping me with all my nibbling questions.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision and I can now see why the Disco/Defender engines are different. There is a lot to be said about getting the part number from the catalog, ordering it from Rovers North and have it at my door in a day or 2 (if in stock but they have a lot of 200tdi parts on the shelves). Then a quick install while drinking beer like you said. The main point in starting this thread was to show more compete documentation on installing a Disco 200tdi into a LHD Defender. I felt like there wasn?t much info especially for a LH style version.

Having said that, the Disco engines might be better candidates for the 300tdi turbo experiment. The downpipe fabrication wasn?t as easy as say a 300tdi setup but not nearly as hard as my OM617 exhaust routing. Off the shelf 200tdi Defender exhaust would be easiest but for me I have to have TIG welded stainless with V-Bands anyways. I know it sounds strange on a ratty old LR but I enjoy seeing it every time I?m underneath :). And same goes for those braided AN lines - thanks Napalm!

I didn?t even think of putting the PS res on the LH side. One of the nice things about the OM617 is the PS pump is much nicer and it sits inches away from the LH box. Since I have to fix some other things I?ll look to do that too. Although I made a pretty sweet bracket and got the line PAS hoses well routed late last night.

Red90

The same turbo is available in Defender 200TDI configuration at about the same cost using all stock exhaust. We've done a few 200TDi swaps and with 4 of us on it, you can be driving in 5 hours. It is all about making sure you have all of the donor parts.

Horses for courses. I assume you like doing all of the custom work. I'm more interested in just using the truck and it working without it being the test bed. I design and build prototype stuff at work all the time. No desire to do it at home.

I can see the allure of the fancy upgraded components, but I've not seen the stock stuff fail when installed and used properly.

What are your thoughts now that you see it on future maintenance on the left side of the engine with the Disco engine / 300TDI turbo? My concern with this arrangement has always been that access to anything would be crazy. For instance, can the starter be changed with the turbo in place?

donb

The same turbo is available in Defender 200TDI configuration at about the same cost using all stock exhaust. We've done a few 200TDi swaps and with 4 of us on it, you can be driving in 5 hours. It is all about making sure you have all of the donor parts.

Horses for courses. I assume you like doing all of the custom work. I'm more interested in just using the truck and it working without it being the test bed. I design and build prototype stuff at work all the time. No desire to do it at home.

I can see the allure of the fancy upgraded components, but I've not seen the stock stuff fail when installed and used properly.

What are your thoughts now that you see it on future maintenance on the left side of the engine with the Disco engine / 300TDI turbo? My concern with this arrangement has always been that access to anything would be crazy. For instance, can the starter be changed with the turbo in place?

Yes - there is the TT turbo kit available for the 200tdi Defender version. TBH I bought this engine off Ebay and it said it was ?from a Defender? so I assumed it was the Defender version. At the time I didn?t know the differences and it was a knee jerk purchase. My point about the turbo is if you have the Disco version (or can get one cheap) then a 300tdi turbo could be a good upgrade. Like you said the Defender version works and parts are available including the VNT TT turbo kit. I believe the 200tdi Defender intakes are rare and expensive and may not work with the Disco front PS and Alternator locations but I?m sure you know better. The way I did it with a 300tdi TT kit was not the smartest/most economical way. A better economy/performance path would have been to use a used stock 300tdi turbo which I believe is an upgrade from the 200tdi turbo. Again, trying to document all the little things in this thread as it?s stuff I searched on but did not find.

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs are so true. I got frustrated with the OM617 with the ?test bed? work. Like you said I wanted to ?just use the truck? and figured the 200tdi would go right in. My mistake with getting the Disco version has lead me down this path. But a lot of the work was prep stuff - seals, turning the flywheel, timing belt, flywheel cover bolts, getting the correct engine mounts (they used the Disco one in the Defender), etc. The custom exhaust by itself wasn?t bad and if it was just that would have been enjoyable as I really like fabrication. The EGT port is a necessary upgrade and the IC piping was really straight forward. I used a stock 200tdi IC. I will blueprint my work out with parts numbers for a more clear read.

As far as access the starter will be a pain in the ass. I designed the downpipe with those Vbands to be removed easily which should help. Installing the starter was bad and that was in the engine bay with no downpipe, alternator and PS pump.

1of40

Don, I know ur pain dude but glad ur hanging in there. I bought Disco 200 as well and wasn’t aware of the plumbing differences either. They took longer to make decisions on than anything else. Once I realized what I was facing I had doubt about the whole engine/ancillaries so that lead to a deeper internal and ancillary dive. The silver lining, when I squint real hard to see it, is I know my truck better and every major component has been put through the ringer, like decking the head, lower bearings, oil pump, IP, glow plugs, turbo, etc. The IP is leaking these days so I’m looking forward to being introduced to that whole process.

Forge-on Don!

donb

Power Steering

So the pump on the 200tdi Discovery has different threads for the high pressure line.

I ordered the following but none worked (threads didn't match up):

NTC9704 (4 CYL PETROL and NA DIESEL)
NTC9074 (Tdi UP TO LA)
ANR6656 (Supersedes: ANR2136 and ANR2914; RRC '95 Disco1 '94-'99. Defender Tdi turbo diesel from #JA918810, 2.5L 4cyl, 300 Tdi from #MA939976Tdi FROM MA)

3eb2d07a35e72523af22c598de5973fb.jpg

Here are the differences in the thread to the Power Steering pump:

5b0d09b37ea5e39cebe59af280465c01.jpg

2a7cd88ec25436878782fadd788d3c55.jpg

d2a62b6ca33767f0e7dd46c6987f2261.jpg

I know the 200tdi Discovery never went into a LHD Defender but even if I could get the a part number with the hose with the correct ends and bring to a hose shop to modify that would be of help.

I removed some parts from a 1994 RRC and that hose will thread into the steering pump but I don't want to modify as the rubber sections are short and old.

I'm thinking parts number NTC9099 (NAS D90) or NTC6790 (RRC 87-92 and NAS110) might work.