What have you done to your DEFENDER today?

Ozzie

Well-known member
20210906_193358.jpg
Finally re assembled the Hannibal and got the neighbors to help lift it into place.
 

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey! Instead of working on my sniper project I got to spend the day swapping the water pump on my wife’s truck. Fortunately I had one “in stock” (I have a PLL for people who know that lingo). The bearing on the original 17 year old pump was all wobbly and let a ton of coolant leak out and be slung around by the fan. I like to use some cardboard templates I made for keeping track of the bolts. That way I get the right length in the right hole and where necessary I’ve put the tightening order and torque values on the cardboard.

5C133B7E-7535-44C2-B4E2-7644E54A1E27.jpeg

ED3F8606-B137-4B74-B6EF-F100E354BAEF.jpeg
F4C43049-A4B3-4E71-8C2D-8178621C4B80.jpeg
C3BF8055-43F7-4807-877A-20D6E0133535.jpeg
 

4RF RDS

Well-known member
Had a bit of a wobble after hard bumps for about a year now. Decided to tackle it last week and parts just arrived. Adjusted the power steering box adjustment bolt down a half turn and replaced the lower steering column. super easy but very fiddley on a Td5 with AC. All in about $110 Cdn 👍🏻

Good as new again.
 

Attachments

  • 7C4AA247-20DD-43FC-8EB9-867A5C76F44C.jpeg
    7C4AA247-20DD-43FC-8EB9-867A5C76F44C.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 26
  • D3A6B4B0-0223-42F7-AFFB-14224F7CFB83.jpeg
    D3A6B4B0-0223-42F7-AFFB-14224F7CFB83.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 27
  • BCC1C541-8C43-472F-ADD0-D3D7D920517F.jpeg
    BCC1C541-8C43-472F-ADD0-D3D7D920517F.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 26

erover82

Well-known member
Installed a Series tow ring as a removable ground anchor for pulling Rovers and equipment up into the shop.

1634149528917.png


Drilling and installing threaded anchors. Tdi head bolt for scale.
IMG_4387.jpeg


Finished. Towing ring secures in seconds with 1/2" bolts.
IMG_4388.jpeg


Patched surrounding surface chips from hammer-drilling with epoxy and sanded smooth. Not perfect but fine. Capped anchor holes with slotted set screws to prevent filling with debris or anything sliding over and catching the hole edges.
IMG_4391.jpeg
 

SaintPanzer

Well-known member
So the last couple of weekends have been about 95% of the way through my swivel balls, rotors, and maybe pads. I'll write it all up when I can truly say "Job Done", but I'm not there yet. Got as far as re-attaching the tie rod ends, and just ran out of daylight, and it doesn't look like I'll have time this weekend to finish. Small problem at the end. Specifically: On one of the ends, the pin was rusted and there was nothing to grab to pull it after I backed the castleated nut off... I tried drifting it out, but the pin only "opened" under force and got tighter. Switched to drilling it out, and the end of the bit caught the split in the two edges of the pin, and shattered (scratch one cobalt bit). Thought I'd just tighten the nut so I could get it off the stands and do a short drive to check my work... and got to the point where the nut wasn't tight, but the pin was spinning. And that's where I ran out of daylight. Thought about it a bit, and ordered new tie rod ends, etc. Should be here before I have the chance to work on it again. I did manage to remove the broken bolt that limits steering, so once I am "job done" I will no longer have to worry about tires rubbing on drop arms, so that's a minor victory. Also noticed I could not get the brake pistons all the way back in the calipers, so add a rebuild kit to the parts list. That might wait a bit. Rotors were definitely under spec, so I'm glad I got there, and I really hope the new swivel ball seals do not leak!
 

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
So the last couple of weekends have been about 95% of the way through my swivel balls, rotors, and maybe pads. I'll write it all up when I can truly say "Job Done", but I'm not there yet. Got as far as re-attaching the tie rod ends, and just ran out of daylight, and it doesn't look like I'll have time this weekend to finish. Small problem at the end. Specifically: On one of the ends, the pin was rusted and there was nothing to grab to pull it after I backed the castleated nut off... I tried drifting it out, but the pin only "opened" under force and got tighter. Switched to drilling it out, and the end of the bit caught the split in the two edges of the pin, and shattered (scratch one cobalt bit). Thought I'd just tighten the nut so I could get it off the stands and do a short drive to check my work... and got to the point where the nut wasn't tight, but the pin was spinning. And that's where I ran out of daylight. Thought about it a bit, and ordered new tie rod ends, etc. Should be here before I have the chance to work on it again. I did manage to remove the broken bolt that limits steering, so once I am "job done" I will no longer have to worry about tires rubbing on drop arms, so that's a minor victory. Also noticed I could not get the brake pistons all the way back in the calipers, so add a rebuild kit to the parts list. That might wait a bit. Rotors were definitely under spec, so I'm glad I got there, and I really hope the new swivel ball seals do not leak!
Jack and wood under the tre get the truck weight on it and it won't spin
 
Top