1994 RRC LWB 300Tdi

RiftRover

Been a little while since I updated this thread. Been busy with family stuff the last few weeks, but still managed to get a few things done. New foams filters for the cowl vents, refreshed the junk yard airbox, got the cowl reinstalled and cleaned up the ridiculous power steering line. The PO had just "readjusted" the V8 line to work with the TDI instead of simply getting the correct line... :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3677.jpg
    IMG_3677.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 260

Jeff B

Been a little while since I updated this thread. Been busy with family stuff the last few weeks, but still managed to get a few things done. New foams filters for the cowl vents, refreshed the junk yard airbox, got the cowl reinstalled and cleaned up the ridiculous power steering line. The PO had just "readjusted" the V8 line to work with the TDI instead of simply getting the correct line... :confused:

What kind of foam did you use for the cowl vents?

Also, I'm curious about your steering hoses. All the Tdi gurus told me to reuse my V8 hoses on my swap and mine look fine.

RiftRover

What kind of foam did you use for the cowl vents?

Also, I'm curious about your steering hoses. All the Tdi gurus told me to reuse my V8 hoses on my swap and mine look fine.

Hey Jeff, the filter foam is the stock part that I got from Trevor at Rovahfarm, MXC3910. Way too expensive tho at $9 x 3. When he called to let me know I could pick them up he joked that my fish tank filters had arrived! There are probably much cheaper options out there..

As far as the hoses, I assumed the jacked up hose was the original V8 hose, but it doesn't look like it is. I replaced it with what I understood to be the diesel specific part which is ANR6656, but that one is nearly identical to NTC4165 for the V8. So not surprising that your original part would have worked fine. All the other hoses were fine except the pump to reservoir, but it looks like it has been cut and is now to short. Could you take a picture of the location of your reservoir? That's one thing I haven't been sure of. I think I have it where it needs to go but could use a picture of someone elses setup. Thanks!

Jeff B

I used some generic HVAC foam/filter stuff last time I did mine-- probably 7 or 8 years ago.
Works well, I think its kind of red colored.

I'll get a picture of the reservoir.

Jeff B

This is mine.
Stock RR reservoir, stock location.

How does yours route the intercooler over the shock?
I had to make a custom pipe .

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 253

RiftRover

Thanks Jeff. That is the same place I've mounted it now. It was in a different place because of this ridiculous intercooler setup that the truck had when I got it. So as far as intercooler piping, I still have to figure that out. I have some of the stock defender tdi pipes but as you say they might foul the LWB shock tower. That is next on the list!

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 235

Jeff B

I have some of the stock defender tdi pipes but as you say they might foul the LWB shock tower. That is next on the list!

I couldn't find any combination that would work.
In my picture above, it's that silver pipe just below the air cleaner.
It's basically a 90* bend with a small piece welded on at the bottom at an angle pointed toward the intercooler.
Just goes up and over the inboard shock which is exclusive to the air suspension RRCs.

RiftRover

My rad frame is from a defender so the locating dowels were on the top of the frame instead of the sides as needed for an RRC. So I knocked out the dowels from the top piece and made up some L brackets to attach to the side frames in the right location. Now I can get the rad back in so hoping to get the truck running again this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 236

RiftRover

Got the electric fan moved over and the rad/intercooler mounted back in the truck, so it should go quickly now. Also went ahead and picked up the proper low pressure power steering hose from Trevor. And on a completely unrelated note I had this gift on my car at the end of the day yesterday... biggest bird crap I've ever seen! :eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 230

RiftRover

It's running!!

Well, I got the last few things done and got it started last night! Feels good after having everything apart - you just never know what might happen when it hasn't run for over a year. Had to repair a crack in the boost pipe from the turbo to the IP (crappy picture but I couldn't get the camera to focus). This was an issue on the 110 as well and I'm convinced it contributes to a lot of "slow tdi" complaints. Also had to trim the upper radiator hose to clear, and I installed some temporary lower intercooler piping to get it running until I can get some aluminum pipe. Also ended up with a nick and pin hole in the radiator that I have to address now... :mad: Here's a video of it starting up - my youngest son was excited!

https://youtu.be/nkWnWK07Zqk

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3716.jpg
    IMG_3716.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3718.jpg
    IMG_3718.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 241

Vtrover

Great accomplishment. I've been through it myself, and was surprised for a long time that I pulled it off, and how dependable the truck became...worth all the effort.

RiftRover

Been forever since I updated this thread. Did a ton of work to get ready for SCARR back in April and then haven't done much since. Biggest thing I did before SCARR was suspension and tires. Had some OME shocks and springs laying around, added a new set for the rear. Ended up with Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires, and I've been happy with them so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4064.jpg
    IMG_4064.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4063.jpg
    IMG_4063.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 239

RiftRover

Ended up with a spacer in the rear to get the stance right. Also installed lower shock mounts. Had an embarrassing moment at SCARR when it become apparent that I forgot to reinstall the spring retainers and the springs fell out when the axle articulated... :eek: I'm still thinking of going with RTE springs instead of the OME, but it's fine for now.

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 217

RiftRover

Also running wheel spacers at the moment. The front wheels do rub on the plastic sill but I don't like the tucked under look and I feel like the wider stance helps when the truck is lifted.

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpg
    IMG_4267.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 245

RiftRover

Well this build thread is officially over since I no longer own the truck. Traded it to a friend for the next project...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 264