Low coolant alarm in 300tdi

Motorradmark

Callsign: KO4FIC
For a 300tdi, has anyone installed a low coolant alarm. Was reading about the Engine Saver device, looks good, seems limited to those in Oz.

http://enginesaver.com.au/

Also saw the DaviesCraig variants on jegs. https://www.jegs.com/i/Davies-Craig/317/DC-1035/10002/-1

Like the screw in option as I have already installed a pipe in my top rad pipe with an extra fitting available. (For elec fan sensor)
Any other options or opinions from the inmates.

Cheers
Mark

1of40

I’ve not don’t this but have read and heard others discuss how they’ve installed a RRC coolant res with a coolant level warning sensor that can tie in to our instrument panel.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
I?ve not don?t this but have read and heard others discuss how they?ve installed a RRC coolant res with a coolant level warning sensor that can tie in to our instrument panel.

Funny because in the Classic community they ditch that for a Defender coolant cap because they leak and fail because of the sender. #grassisalwaysgreener

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I'm not sure I fully see the point in this modification. I generally open the hood and check stuff on older Land Rovers regularly.

If you don't do that then you should at least notice a leak/drop/puddle and then be able to address the issue rather than push it until your coolant is at a low level. If you don't address a known coolant leak or check levels when you know of a leak that isn't a major concern for some reason then a low coolant alarm is a moot point. My experience with catastrophic leak/component failures at highway speeds is that any warning right before you notice a climbing temperature gauge is not going to change the outcome of the situation. You either pulled off in time and cut the engine or you didn't.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Using a rrc or disco res with the rrc cap you can pull power from the dash to complete a circuit and light up the indicator.

The dash lights are all powered individually

Red90

My experience with catastrophic leak/component failures at highway speeds is that any warning right before you notice a climbing temperature gauge is not going to change the outcome of the situation. You either pulled off in time and cut the engine or you didn't.

Because an audible alarm gets your attention and you will stop before the coolant becomes too low to cause overheating. It works 100% of the time in preventing damage. Watching the coolant temperature gauge does not.

Perhaps try it before dismissing it.

Personally I have both visual and audible high temperature and low coolant alarms.

Viton

From what I've been told,
the purpose of using the RRC sensor cap in the 300Tdi
is because since the water pump is so high on the engine
a small drop in coolant will render it not pumping any or very little fluid.

Everybody in Argentina uses some sort of low coolant alarm on 300TDi's. Laziest idea ever, IMHO. Just check the reservoir now and then, will ya? Been using the TDi daily for 8 years now. Never needed an alarm.