300 tdi power steering pump failure

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
I had a new one today. Hauling up to the Sierras in the 110 with 300 tdi when the power steering pump failed, the bearing and pulley broke loose and took out the belt. I was packed to the gills, family on board etc.

Initially though i could re-route a spare fan belt to bypass pump. The solution was to disconnect the two hoses to pump, tuck them out of the way to allow clearance for bypass configuration and buy a shorter 6 ribbed belt from napa. Length was 55.75 inch and was snug. I was looking for 56 inch. I will update with part number and exact range of belt lengths that will work.

Take home for me was to keep a short belt on hand in the trail box. Typically do 1-2 long off road trips annually with no parts stores in site and this would have otherwise left me stranded.

The repair entailed loosening top hoses, removing fan shroud, knocking viscous fan loose (luckily had a mallet and drift) to make room for pulling pulley out of pump (no longer attached), attaching shorter serpentine belt and buttoning back up and topping off coolant. 2 hours later and we were on our way.