Winch bumpers

meatblanket

So I recently picked up a Superwinch TS 9500SR to mount on my 110. Unfortunately, the winch bumper that came over in my container 6 years ago is for air con and sticks out a couple of inches too far.

Bumpers I'm considering would be Terrafirma and Britpart. Looking for something simple, cheap, yet functional, and no heavier than necessary. Not interested in a bull bar or A bar, and I'm never going to add lighting to it.

I like the tubular bumpers because of the approach angle. I don't mind cutting the plastic grill, but how much of the sheet metal gets cut with one of those?

Anything else I should be looking at?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Could you send me a pic of your bumper? I actually need one that sticks out too far!... any thoughts on selling it? ...although it may be easier for me to just source a standard grill.

But one way or another I need to mod or sell the bumper I have to make it work for me.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I backed up all the photos off my iPhone recently and removed them all! Found one in a thread.

Attachments

• IMG_8508.JPG
    IMG_8508.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 272

meatblanket

Could you send me a pic of your bumper? I actually need one that sticks out too far!... any thoughts on selling it? ...although it may be easier for me to just source a standard grill.

But one way or another I need to mod or sell the bumper I have to make it work for me.

It will be for sale soon. It's Britpart, either DA5643 or DA5623. Not sure which.

Without the winch in there I think there might be room for a 30 pack of Extra Gold to ride up front.

meatblanket

Still researching this and found a link to some instructions for fitting a non-A/C tubular bumper, and it requires not only cutting the grille but also hacking through the metal panel that the grille was formerly attached to.

https://www.firstfour.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Def_Tubular_Bumper.pdf

So you cut the plastic, cut the metal, and in addition the solenoid pack gets re-located to avoid cutting out even more of the grille.

So to avoid that, one could simply use an A/C bumper on a non A/C truck, right? Well, problem there is that, based on the pictures I could find, most of the A/C bumpers don't seem to require cutting of the A/C grille, which means everything extends too far forward.

Would be nice to find a tubular bumper that would set the winch all the way back to the grille (for a non-a/c truck) but not through the metal panel behind it. Doesn't look to me like such a thing exists.

It would also be nice if manufacturers of these things would post specs for their products along with some photos of various installations.

DefendersNW

Cutting the metal is removing the lower horizontal section of the grill surround, sucks because you can't put it back later if you remove the winch.

Cutting the grill is to allow for the upper section of the winch and solenoid pack (or relocate it into the inner wing) - no big deal since a replacement grille is under $50...

The AC bumper adds 5"-6" of extension and works, but still. Ultimately the solution is cutting, and sourcing another grille and surround if you want to return to stock at a later date.

Or switch winches to a lower/wider setup that fits without the hacking.

meatblanket

I'm fine with cutting the plastic grille, it's already got some damage from bird hits. But I'm hesitant to cut the metal panel for any number of reasons.

I can't tell for certain whether installation of the BritPart tubular bumper DA5609 or the TerraFirma bumper TF003 (non A/C) require cutting the metal or just the plastic. I'm assuming the metal gets cut on those as well.

DefendersNW

I'm fine with cutting the plastic grille, it's already got some damage from bird hits. But I'm hesitant to cut the metal panel for any number of reasons.

I can't tell for certain whether installation of the BritPart tubular bumper DA5609 or the TerraFirma bumper TF003 (non A/C) require cutting the metal or just the plastic. I'm assuming the metal gets cut on those as well.

We don't sell Britpart so I can't answer that one

The TF003 will need the lower facia and grill cut to fit any winch

The TF003AC will not require any cutting if you don't have AC, and will require cutting only the plastic grille on a truck with the AC bump-out surround (AC surround is angled at the bottom and clears the winch body.)

Going to the AC version does project the bumper further forward but really only 3" more (depth of the AC surround) and means no cutting at all on a non-AC truck.