NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Defender Technical Discussions

Old 01-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #81
BarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDavis View Post
I have this. Has been solid for 2 years, for fairly frequent and long winching jobs. A Swiss builder I know has these on at least 50 vehicles (before anyone goes "iTs nOt rAtEd fOr tHoSe vOLtAgEs"...)
Sure they are; they're rated for 24V, double the 12 volts we use.

'gets a little more complicated with current rating. Hella rates this switch at 100 amps continuously (100 amps long term without melting). But you don't run winches continuously; they're all intermittent duty devices. Hella rates the switch at 1000 amps for 10 seconds or less. Usually winches are used most of the time at far below their rated pull, so draw far less than their rated maximum current load. If you're recovering a 6000 lb. truck, say, you're rarely using that much force (unless you're pulling it up vertically or it's really stuck in the mud). So they'll probably work most of the time.
BarryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #82
DiscoDavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO View Post
Sure they are; they're rated for 24V, double the 12 volts we use.

'gets a little more complicated with current rating. Hella rates this switch at 100 amps continuously (100 amps long term without melting). But you don't run winches continuously; they're all intermittent duty devices. Hella rates the switch at 1000 amps for 10 seconds or less. Usually winches are used most of the time at far below their rated pull, so draw far less than their rated maximum current load. If you're recovering a 6000 lb. truck, say, you're rarely using that much force (unless you're pulling it up vertically or it's really stuck in the mud). So they'll probably work most of the time.
Not really complicated. The rating is 100A continuous at 24v. It was fine when pulling to stall speed on a husky multiple times.
DiscoDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #83
Red90

Here is a nice automatic option. Waterproof. 100 Amp continous, 500 Amps for 60 seconds. 800 Amp breaking current.

https://defense.tecknowledgey.com/cu...contactor.html
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 PM   #84
jymmiejamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDavis View Post
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0028430.../dp/B0000AYAFE

I have this. Has been solid for 2 years, for fairly frequent and long winching jobs. A Swiss builder I know has these on at least 50 vehicles (before anyone goes "iTs nOt rAtEd fOr tHoSe vOLtAgEs"...)
That is what the manual for the Superwinch Husky recommends if I remember correctly.
jymmiejamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #85
DiscoDavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Here is a nice automatic option. Waterproof. 100 Amp continous, 500 Amps for 60 seconds. 800 Amp breaking current.

https://defense.tecknowledgey.com/cu...contactor.html
Neat
DiscoDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #86
WK2Burner

does anyone inset their switch so that it is countersunk from the outside face of the battery box. I see most have an interior mounting option, but I wonder if anyone knocks it with their legs. If using 2, 1 for winch and 1 for battery, maybe one on left side of seatbox, and one on front? Just curious as I plan out a future winch install.

I like the option Tomaco attached in post 78. Or maybe a combo to kill both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaco1 View Post
WK2Burner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #87
RBBailey

Member Trucks

I forgot that the Blue Sea switch I have is actually for dual batteries. But I'm not going to go dual. I could use it for the winch/battery, but I'm going to change to using these. One for the battery cut-off, one for the winch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I like the looks, and Blue Sea makes good stuff.
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #88
WK2Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I forgot that the Blue Sea switch I have is actually for dual batteries. But I'm not going to go dual. I could use it for the winch/battery, but I'm going to change to using these. One for the battery cut-off, one for the winch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I like the looks, and Blue Sea makes good stuff.
that's where I think im at. Where do you plan on mounting them? I may consider a fabricated bracket/box that sinks two switches back into the box, depending on how much space is lost. Thanks.
WK2Burner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #89
RBBailey

Member Trucks

The one for the winch is simple, it will go under the passenger seat. I'll use the provided cable to go to the switch, then another that I already have to go to the battery.

The switch for the battery depends on where I have room. I need to take the time to open up my battery box and figure it out. I have a 60amp fuse going to my aux panel in the box, and the solenoid for my home made glow plug harness, so I don't have a lot more room in there. Knowing the way things are with off roading, with building my own truck, and just the fact that I almost had a fire in Series, and I know a guy who had a fire in his Defender 90, I want a cut off switch that I can get at.
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #90
Napalm00
Shaft! (Can you dig it?)

Why not just put it directly next to the winch wiring one in the front of the box?

Or since it's flush-mount even better yet put it on the side of the box all you have to do is open the door
Napalm00 is offline   Reply With Quote