NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Non-Technical Forums > Member Trucks

The Blue Aux

Member Trucks
Vehicle Name The Blue Aux
Year 1988
Make Land Rover
Model 110
Color British Respray Blue
Packages Saudi Spec V8 with AC dash
1988 Land Rover 110
1988 Land Rover 110
History This vehicle was first used in the desert sands around the UAE. It was fully outfitted with rear AC, roof rack, winch, extra water tanks, etc... All of this was stripped clean after its second owner sold it to be re-imported to the UK.

It was owned by one person for a few years, then sold to a guy in London. At this point the records include many parking tickets, and everything from garage visits to restaurant receipts from all kinds of places between the UK, Germany, Russia, Greece, Turkey, Syria, and Iraq.

After Googling the name of the owner, we found out that he is actually the curator of Mid-East studies at the British Museum in London. He is an expert on the city of Ur. I mean, who else could you imagine driving a 110 around Europe and the Middle East?

The vehicle was sold, apparently to a dealer who does not have a very good reputation, but it was hand-picked from out of the fray by the friends of an Ex-Pat who now lives in BC Canada. He had bought the 110 as a travel vehicle to pull his camper trailer because V8! Uh... no..... He ended up putting it in storage for a year and decided to just stick with his exMoD 90.

That's when I found it, just at the right time, for the right price. We drove up to BC and stayed for three days, checking out the truck and waiting for the cash to clear the banks. On the day the money came through, we woke up at 7am, ready to take the thing across the border ...and then I read the thread: Posted just an hour earlier, someone, then someone else, then more people started reporting that their Defenders were being confiscated by men with guns. This was the day I was supposed to get mine into the country?!

In the end, all went smoothly. They never even bothered to look out the window to confirm that what I was bringing in was a very clean, original 1988 Rover. I could have been bringing in a Russian tank, they wouldn't have known.

I drove it for a year, and it performed well. The ignition module died, but otherwise, it never let me down. Then I found a 300Tdi and R380, and,... and...

Last summer we went to the UK for a couple of weeks, and I couldn't help but see if I could get in touch with the archeologist previous owner. I found some stuff about him on various academic sites, and even a YouTube video. He actually answered my email! And then he sent me some photos of my truck from when he had it. He had driven it from the UK to Turkey three times, plus some other trips from there. He had built some wooden boxes in the rear, and he used this truck to transport the artifacts from the dig site to the lab every day. The photo I include here is of where they would go to cross the Tigris River on their way to town.
Exterior
Stock, except for the steering guard and brush bar. Will be mounting Mantec tire carrier once new door is procured.

Interior
Stock, except I have now installed an NAS bulkhead with an NAS AC dash. It's the same as the original, but with a few upgrades to meet the American market, and charge a whole lot more money for it.

Suspension, Wheels, and Tires
Rover HD springs. 7.5x16

Driveline
300Tdi, R380
Comments: 4 / Views: 823
Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
SARTech

Nice truck. Knowing the history behind the Rover make it that much cooler.
SARTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Tbaumer

Member Trucks

Checking out member rides and came across this.
Impressed with the known history. Makes me wonder where mine has been (It came out of Estonia).
I always picture you as the series guy. Do you get around in this one more, or the Green Goat?
Tbaumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
RBBailey

Member Trucks

I have not driven the 110 for a year. It's been under the knife. Lately I'm trying to get back to putting it back together, but other things and health keep getting in the way!

This will be my daily driver. I take the Series out when the weather is nice.
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Tbaumer

Member Trucks

I've read most of your stuff on the work you have put into this one. Thought you finished it recently. It's beginning to sink in, that with Defenders, you are never really "Finished" working on them. Sounds like you are super close!
Tbaumer is offline   Reply With Quote