New Stability, 110 Shocks

Jeff B

Do they come in black?
Nothing looks.... well, English..... like some brightly colored dampers.

I had to paint my OME's satin black. Couldn't stand the bright yellow.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I got my set today. First impressions are that they are built well, and robust. I'm surprised at how they are fairly easy to compress, and they don't spring back on their own very quickly. I have not handled shocks for many years though, so I can't say this is in comparison to anything I know.

I didn't realize that I would need a different set of bushings though. The ones that come with it won't work. Could you tell me what type you buy?

EDIT: I should clarify. The bottom mount looks like it will work. It's a big bolt, but I think I remember that the hole at the bottom is big enough for this to go through. The upper loop though, is quite a bit larger than the standard shocks. The upper frame mount is something like 13mm, but the center hole in the loop on the shock is about 26mm.

1of40

Does the shock need to be turned to “activate “. It’s been a zillion years but I seem to recall someone showing me this once.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
John brought up some good points in post 20 and I did some measuring.
The lower bushings and overall length also come into play.
With the much larger lower bushings and arm length the overall travel comes out about right.

I didn't realize that I would need a different set of bushings though. The ones that come with it won't work. Could you tell me what type you buy?

EDIT: I should clarify. The bottom mount looks like it will work. It's a big bolt, but I think I remember that the hole at the bottom is big enough for this to go through. The upper loop though, is quite a bit larger than the standard shocks. The upper frame mount is something like 13mm, but the center hole in the loop on the shock is about 26mm.

All you need do is slide the metal tubes out of a suspension kit over the shock mounts bolted to the frame and the shocks bolt right on. I smeared the inside of the mount with anti-seize before sliding the tube on.

Does the shock need to be turned to ?activate ?. It?s been a zillion years but I seem to recall someone showing me this once.

No.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
All you need do is slide the metal tubes out of a suspension kit over the shock mounts bolted to the frame and the shocks bolt right on. I smeared the inside of the mount with anti-seize before sliding the tube on.

So the metal tubes that are currently on my truck should work? Seems still too big, but I'll give it a try when I get the time.

I doubt they will bottom out. The travel lengths seem to be pretty well beyond the space between the axle and the bump stops. I suppose I could measure it when I get home.

The_Vermonster

So the metal tubes that are currently on my truck should work? Seems still too big, but I'll give it a try when I get the time.

It depends on what you had. I had some Sach shocks and everything was significantly smaller than my OME shocks I just put on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I'm surprised at how they are fairly easy to compress, and they don't spring back on their own very quickly. I have not handled shocks for many years though, so I can't say this is in comparison to anything I know.

hydraulic shock vs gas shock

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Ah, makes sense.

Now I just need to buy a set of OME to use till I wear them out so I can pull them off to use the mounting sleeve on these shocks! LOL!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Yeah, that's the problem. I didn't realize that when I bought the shocks....

Stock bushing = 47.3mm outside, 13mm inside diameter
Monroe bushing = 45mm outside, 26mm inside diameter

In other words, I either need a collar with 13mm interior diameter, and a 13mm wall! (That's a lot of metal.) Or bushings with 45mm diameter, and a 13mm hole.

If anyone else is trying to fit these, I'd like to hear what your solution is. Cut my losses? Send them back? Find an artisan bushing craftsman?

The_Vermonster

I'm away from my 110 right now but I can measure my OME for you. If the stars align, it will be next week. I know that you can get a complete Bushing kit from ARB for about $25. My local dealer was willing to order it for me but I only needed two washers so I went a different direction. I would guess that since Monroe makes OME shocks, it's the same size. But probably best to check before ordering a special part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
It would be interesting to see if they are the same size. I thought that's what you were referring to above. Thanks.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Anyone know of a place to buy various sizes so I could just select the one I need?

The_Vermonster

Sorry for the delay, just found my calipers. My OME shocks mount to the stock Defender rear shock brackets. IIRC that is an M12 nut, but I think the shaft is slightly larger. The ring on the shock is about 40.3mm in diameter and 30mm deep.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
The ring on the shock is about 40.3mm in diameter and 30mm deep.

You mean the ring on the OME shock? That would mean OME bushings won't work...

The ring on the Monroe is about 45mm

You're correct about the stud, it is an M12 and the shaft seems to be 13mm, this leaves 13mm of gap between the stud and the inside of the shock's bushing. I would need a sleeve of about 7mm thick to go over that 13mm stud.

Red90

Stock bushing = 47.3mm outside, 13mm inside diameter
Monroe bushing = 45mm outside, 26mm inside diameter

In other words, I either need a collar with 13mm interior diameter, and a 13mm wall! (That's a lot of metal.)

6.5 mm wall.