Factory Wiring Question

mitherial

1989 Diesel Turbo LHD Ninety.

Can someone tell me which of these terminals/switches along the left-hand front wing are factory-original, and which are Italian-engineered extras added by previous owners?

(1) and (4) - Wiring terminals (to add accessories?) -- they look reasonably original, but I cannot locate them in the parts manual.

(3) - Based on the heater symbol and placement, appears to be the switch for a no-longer-functional/present engine block heater of some kind; I have not been able to trace the wires. Was this a factory option? It is not listed as such in the small green-cover owners manual.

(2) - Despite the corrosion, this is the factory change-your-air-filter reminder device (rather pointless in this case as a PO blocked the intake-tube from the air filter).

There are several stray splitter/connectors over the engine bay, which confuses things.

Attachments

• Wiring 01.jpg
    Wiring 01.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Wiring 02.jpg
    Wiring 02.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 180

mitherial

Arrrgh, original picture is 13mb and 4,000 pixels across -- here is my second try.

Just to clarify, (#2) is listed in the owners manual -- added to late pre-TDI Turbo Diesels to make sure that owners changed their air filters regularly to keep the turbo from being damaged.

Attachments

• Wiring 03.jpg
    Wiring 03.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 180

Red90

Yes, I know about the air filter reminder. The other things look like a previous owner thing. You will need to follow the wires.

Robert

1 looks like a lucas relay, 6ra. 25ra. Something like that. 3 is probably the switch for the relay, and 4 looks like the breaker

mitherial

Yes, that sounds right to me, aux lights or a winch (neither currently fitted) seem like the most likely culprit.

My inclination will be to pull them once I finish tracing the wiring, though some of the wires are very difficult to get at without removing the wing. All of my lighting (interior and exterior) is quite dull, meaning I have some voltage-drops / bad groundings to track down (fun!), but I will first replace the turn signal switch and install a relay harness. I am about half way through installing LED signal lights too.

mitherial

There was a rear-work lamp and extra interior lamp wired directly into the battery when I got the truck (both so corroded to be non-functional), but this is a different wiring loop -- the wires all appear to run back towards the bulkhead main-wiring harness area. No aux lighting brackets or holes on the front currently, but based on its immaculate condition, I suspect the OEM-looking front bumper was replaced by the exporter before sale.

I will remove the fan-shroud and horn to see if I can cram my hand in further to get at the rats nest of wires behind the LH headlamp.