Toyota FJ70 or 80

nas90tdi

Totally off the reservation here, but looking for a 90-92 Toyota FJ 70 or 80 with all 3 lockers and the 4.2L Turbo Diesel. JDM or Euro market. LH or RH drive.

Already in the States or B.C.
Lower miles. Under 120k preferably in good shape. Not looking for a trail rig.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
I loved my us market 91 fj80. Except for the single digit gas mileage and no factory lockers.

Was a tank in upstate ny snow and always started. Until it wouldn't pass ny emissions anymore. Sold it to two brothers who exported it to Hati for use on a sugar cane farm

Glw your search

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
My friend got his 70 in Seattle. 32mpg, has doors that close, lockers, factory winch, AC, and it looks like it was new three years ago. I think he paid $20k at a dealer.

nas90tdi

He probably bought it from Eli at JDM Cars and Motorcycles.That's who has most of them in Seattle. Just missed a really nice 80 last week from Eli.

Yeah the things are a tank. But, that 6 cylinder does get some terrible fuel mileage.

Which engine did he get Ben? My search is taking a little bit more work because I want the 4.2. The 2.4 trucks are pretty easily sourced. There are 2 really nice one around here right now. They just have the small engine.

If he has the 2.4 tell him to watch the engine temps. They like to crack the heads if you run them at higher revs or get them a little warm. The Aussies hate the engine, but ,I know they still run 300k all the time. So, maybe its just the Aussies being Aussies.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Yes, JDM.

Yeah, he is aware of that engine's issues. He is a Mercedes mechanic, so he knows his stuff. I have seen talk about that engine in various places, and I always wonder how much of the Toyota talk of what is a "bad" engine actually translates into what we think of as a "bad" engine when talking about Rovers.

Also, I hear there is a fix for the issues. A new head and valves and cam, or something like that.

After getting a close look at his truck, I actually want one as my daily, but I have too many cars, and I know the Rovers would end up angry.

nas90tdi

I agree 100%. I think our version of a bad engine and Toyota bad are to very different things.

That's exactly what I want one for. To get in, close the door and drive off. The Rovers have problems with even closing the doors correctly, so the rest is just too much to expect.

DiscoDavis

Met a guy at a meet with a BJ70 JDM import. Not sure on what exact motor but it was an I6 non turbo. Believe he paid mid 20k, had mild rust issues being JDM.

Not bad at all.

nas90tdi

I have a question about import paperwork.
I have always titled vehicles I imported. Can a vehicle be titled by someone other than the original importer? I am assuming so ,but thought I would get some input.

A couple of the trucks I am looking at haven't been titled yet in the states. They would include HS-7,NHTSA,customs release and certified translated title.

nas90tdi

The one in Burlingame? If so, I have seen that one. Doesn't have the factory lockers and has more miles that I am looking for.

I am being pretty picky on this because I already have LRs to work on, so......hoping a timing belt and fluid change takes care of me for a while on it. One can hope right?

nas90tdi

Ok, I have the base. Now to catch up the maintenance and start modifying.

Attachments

• 2017-12-20 15.01.28.jpg
    2017-12-20 15.01.28.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 267

xplorutah

Those are cool.

I just picked up a good ol' NAS FZJ80 that is triple locked with not bad miles. Going to spend a few bucks getting it up to speed then off camping I go. The cash I saved will buy a lot of petrol. Now don't get me wrong...The immature "want" in me wanted some thing a little more exotic. BUT, The more mature "I am tired of working on my crap" in me said go with arguably the most capable off the shelf 4x4 ever sold new in the US. I am happy with my decision.

Good luck with yours...

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 233

nas90tdi

Thanks.
I am having a tired of working on my crap crisis as well. That is why I am dipping my toe in the Land Cruiser thing. It just might be for me and cure a couple of decades of this Land Rover addiction. I think once you start counting your Rovers by the dozen instead of individually you should admit you have a problem and try to stop.

Very nice looking FJ. I am sure you will enjoy it.

xplorutah

Yeah I have owned a few (9) Rovers and the addiction runs deep. I have also dipped my toes into the LC world a few times, this is my second 80 Series, my 4th LC, and 7th Toyota product. They really are great trucks with owner satisfaction included. They do however, lack the personality that LR's possess IMHO. Which personality can sometimes mean "working on your crap" which is both good and bad.

I like the loss of yours, it doesn't look 25 years old, which is nice. It could very easily be a 2005 Toyota, with those looks.

Enjoy!

signalMTB

Following, looking for an FJ80 for my father in law. Also a 100 series for my sister. I got them all RRC's and now they're branching out a bit.