Who Is A Pilot?

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I didn't. I also wasn't around when they did the Myth Busters. A few of the guys were in the hangar scene in Bridge of Spies I think. I have driven some notable people in the chase car, though.

I'll try to come up with some sanitized stories and pictures.

Jeff B

I didn't. I also wasn't around when they did the Myth Busters. A few of the guys were in the hangar scene in Bridge of Spies I think. I have driven some notable people in the chase car, though.

I'll try to come up with some sanitized stories and pictures.

Cool.

Don?t sanitize too much though... :D

Mdubs

Navy story

I've been a military pilot for the last 15+ years. Was a Navy P-3 Orion/T-6B Texan instructor pilot and just switched into the Coast Guard flying HC-130Js.

One of my favorite stories was a det to Guam where we were flying over Micronesian waters helping their Coast Guard out with illegal fishing in their territorial waters. Yes, they have a one ship Coast Guard. We were at 5K in the middle of the Pacific when the Micronesian CG ship tells us another boat is calling for us on Guard. We switch over and ask the guy what's up. He said he was wondering if we were looking for someone and needed help because he had never seen an aircraft so low out in the middle of the ocean. After a little chatter back and forth, we realized he was a retired American guy who bought a boat and was sailing around the world with his wife. He was happy to hear an American voice and was also a Floridian, where our squadron was located. As the conversation started to wrap up he said, "Thanks for what you guys do, I've never seen anything as cool as you guys flying by so low."

Well, we were on a 12 hour flight, and it gets kind of boring. I decided that this dude should get a better view of his tax dollars at work. I radioed back, "If you think that was cool, get your camera out." I descended to 200 feet (totally legal in the Navy P-3 community, and not uncommon) Pushed it up to 300 knots and executed a 60 degree break right over him (also legal). We had him on our camera turret snapping pics of us as we came by (wife looked good in a bikini too...) He radioed back "I've sailed around the world and that is officially the highlight! What's your e-mail? I'll send you the video and pictures. If you guys are landing in Palau, drinks for the entire crew are on me all night!"

I politely declined (over the attempts by my crew to convince me we had to divert!) and went back to the mission.

I still wish I would have given him my e-mail, those would have been killer pics. I guess it would have kind of looked like this, minus the sub...

Attachments

• P-3OVERS.jpg
    P-3OVERS.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 208

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I was talking to my Military History students about this whole thing, and trying to briefly describe to them why it had to be the F-22 that was used at 60k+, but then I mentioned the U-2 because it's just that cool. Then this pic came out a few days later! So rad.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
By the way, since originally posting this thread, I entered a 4-year long, slow-motion argument with the FAA over my medical certificate. All I wanted was a Class III, which is basically a doctor telling you that you're still alive, but they had issue with the heart palpitations I had a few years back. Although I had solved the issue -- low-grade work stress, bad sleep habits, too much coffee -- and although my doctors thought I was silly for even pressing the issue, the FAA didn't see it that way. Makes sense, to a point. I'm 48 years old, but I regularly run 6+ miles at an 8:30 pace, and have a resting heart rate of 45. But the FAA was making its decision based on my checking a box that said I had heart palpitations in years previous. So after faxing and sending through snail-mail 200+ pages of documentation of tests and retests and retesting tests to show that there was nothing that could be shown, they finally gave me my medical last June, and I've been flying again since then. It was over 20 years of self-imposed no-flying because it was too expensive, and I'm finally able to do what I really love. It's one reason I sacrificed the Defender. So now I'm getting back into IFR stuff, and hope to start CFI work for fun in the summers. Baby stuff compared to the pros here! But it's hard to describe the joy.

I've also started an after school aviation club at the high school where I teach. Unfortunately, the local airport is terribly neglected by local authorities, and is dominated 100% by a single FBO that overcharges for beat up Cessnas while everyplace else (everywhere else is too far for us to drive to make any sense) is moving into the 21st Century. We live in an age where there are actual shortages of pilots, aviation jobs, and mechanic jobs all over the place; but I can't get anything going for these kids because of the dead-end that this place is for aviation. Hopefully the spring weather will start turning things around, and myself and a few others at the airport are trying to figure out ways to build an aviation community for these kids, and other people who want to get into aviation. But we are having to tread lightly so as not to awake the local FBO to our plans.

I appropriated some school funds (semi-without permission) to start building a simulator, and we might be able to start some fund raisers to get some more cash on hand to buy swag, supplies, and the occasional hour of flight for students. But again, we have to wait for the local authorities to give permission. There are some schools/states/districts who go so far with their high school aviation programs that they own their own aircraft/build their own aircraft, but I think we are a long way from convincing people that aviation is an actual career path, and not just for nerds. Anyone in aviation knows that the EAA and AOPA are big movers and shakers in getting kids into aviation. But so far, the local chapters won't even answer my emails. The only way that I've been able to get these kids to be able to meet an airplane is when local individual aircraft owners have stepped up and allowed them to come to the airport for a visit.

That said, I have found a job with a local mechanic for one kid. An internship for another. And one of my students from a few years ago (before I was able to get back to flying myself) took my advice very literally, and two years later he is our resident flight instructor, teaching ground school to the club members in his free time as he finishes off his certifications.

Follow along if you want: https://www.instagram.com/sambarlowflightclub/

I think even Yellow Belle (Javelinadave) follows us, so we are almost going to be famous some day!

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
@RBBailey
I mentor a bunch of people thru my Yellow Belle Aviation Instagram account. I even got a NAS-ROW member hired by my employer a few years back. Mark me down as a resource for your club. I am more than happy to help anyone get into a career in aviation wether it is flying or turning wrenches.

LazyRabbit

I don’t want a plane… just a friend with a plane…
I work in aviation and I like being able to go up and enjoy it, but i love not being stuck in tin can everyday and being back home or wherever i want to be at night. Yet i still can be around it and get the perks.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Take a look at a charity my friend started and share it with those club members.

Make-A-Pilot Instagram page.

Link to scholarship eligibility.

Link to application.

Some of those high schoolers may be able to take advantage of the scholarships that can help get a solid amount of flight time and instruction. It’s run by and designed for younger folks who are hip with the technology.
Thanks for those links! I’ve been gathering links for them to use, and I’m planning on having an application session in the next week or two, so it’s good timing.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
@RBBailey
I mentor a bunch of people thru my Yellow Belle Aviation Instagram account. I even got a NAS-ROW member hired by my employer a few years back. Mark me down as a resource for your club. I am more than happy to help anyone get into a career in aviation wether it is flying or turning wrenches.
I can’t remember if you ever make it a habit to fly into KSEA or KPDX, but I’ll pay for the drinks if you’re ever in the area. …and if you’ve got 8 hours. ;).

Several of these kids do have their eyes on the airlines, and I’m sure they’d love to hear from a check pilot.

I’m bringing in an Alaska bush pilot as a guest speaker/interview next week.

I’d hate to suggest it because no one really likes this, but maybe you or our resident retired U-2 pilot might be willing to do a remote live interview with the kids in class….

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t remember if you ever make it a habit to fly into KSEA or KPDX, but I’ll pay for the drinks if you’re ever in the area. …and if you’ve got 8 hours. ;).

Several of these kids do have their eyes on the airlines, and I’m sure they’d love to hear from a check pilot.

I’m bringing in an Alaska bush pilot as a guest speaker/interview next week.

I’d hate to suggest it because no one really likes this, but maybe you or our resident retired U-2 pilot might be willing to do a remote live interview with the kids in class….

I’ll keep you posted on the SEA or PDX overnights but I’m happy to do a remote live.
For the record Greenspan excels in mustache sculpting and public speaking. 😜