LR3/4 trunk space

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I cannot judge the actual useful space with the third row seats in use. Can any of you guys give me a good assessment in terms of luggage space and stroller space with one or two of those seats in use?

Ray_G

I can take some pics with mine if you need it Matt; with both seats up you could probably put an umbrella stroller behind the 3rd row no issue-but there won't be too much space back there for luggage. With just one up you get a fair amount of flexibility back and can still segregate the inmates at the same time.

Holler if you want pics.
r-
Ray

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Thanks Ray. Not yet. I made my wife test drive a bunch of different vehicles after she said she wasn't sold on replacing the beater "test" minivan with another minivan. I'm trying to figure out which SUVs with 3 rows still have useable space with the seats up.

Al Blue4.6l

I happened to take these for another member today for the same reason.

(clearly I did not bother vacuuming first)

Attachments

• 20170204_093449.jpg
    20170204_093449.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 20170204_093431.jpg
    20170204_093431.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 20170204_093457.jpg
    20170204_093457.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 543

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
My coworker with 5 kids has an LR4 and they use it for trips from NY to FL once a year. I think he has one of those roof boxes to put all of their luggage in.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
My coworker with 5 kids has an LR4 and they use it for trips from NY to FL once a year. I think he has one of those roof boxes to put all of their luggage in.

He should get a hitch carrier. Zero adverse Mpg effect.

BenLittle

Callsign: KE7BEN
I'm #1 fan of the LR3/LR4 for kids. We've looked at pretty much everything in the 'luxury' suv market. From Porsche to Mercedes - the LR4 just works in so many ways.

sherpamike

Agreed that the LR4 is great for kids/family. We don't normally run with the 3rd row up but it's nice to have when we shuttle extra people around town. I don't know that our Britax stroller (B-agile) would fit in the back with the 3rd row extended. It might, but it would be tight. If that becomes a critical test for you, I can try it out and report back.

We love the LR4 for long road trips. We drive from Tampa to Raleigh several times a year and it's not bad with 2 adults, an 80 lb german shepherd, 7 mo old baby (and all the associated baby crap), and tons of luggage/christmas presents. The one thing I'll say is that with our car seat and the base installed behind the passenger seat you can't move the seat back very far. For the long road trips we delete the car seat base as it yields several inches for the passenger.

Ray_G

Somewhat related, one of the best things about the LR3/4's seating is the fold flat seats.

Besides the 5 or 7 seater flexibility & modularity, one of the things I like the most is removing the 30 center section of the 35/30/35 seating to put a fridge in-this allows for little people to climb into the back fairly easily if the 3rd row is up. If you are normally hauling driver + 3 pax, it divides the back nicely and also is the perfect position for the copilot to grab drinks and such.

All the more justification to get a fridge...
2016-09-25 12.39.31.jpg

rovercolorado

Our LR4 was purchased because of the 3rd row. My wife uses it daily and we have used for a road trips through Texas last year and from Washington state to Colorado the year before. It can hold 2-3 carry on bags and added shopping bags behind the seats without much issue. My kids are out of strollers now but we used to have a cargo box for that stuff in the past as they are often bulky and odd shaped. The third row in anything smaller than a full sized SUV (Chevy LTZ) is going to be somewhat limited. In the split configuration it works well for more carry on items and dogs for example but the one person in the 3rd row has to like the dogs a lot. :)

stu454

Callsign: KN4CBB
Thread Hijack: Ray, how did you attach the fridge when it's in the second row?

rjl

I'm #1 fan of the LR3/LR4 for kids. We've looked at pretty much everything in the 'luxury' suv market. From Porsche to Mercedes - the LR4 just works in so many ways.

It's just me and my wife, but we have a large, 160lb dog. The LR4 works phenomenally well for us.

I was actually interested in MK3 Range Rovers when I just happened to look at an LR4. In my opinion, there is nothing close on the market in terms of interior space (save the G-Wagon, which is a bit taller in the back).

Ray_G

LR4 interior is the same dimension wise, they tend to be a bit nicer in terms of luxury. LR3 is a bit more utilitarian.