WTB - LT230 input gear bearing housing

red64chevelle

So, my input gear rear bearing housing is marked FTC4866, and I think it might be wrong. I am trying to set the preload for the input gear bearings, but I would need such a large spacer that the outer bearing race would nearly be out of the bearing housing.

I think I need part number FRC6943.

Any chance someone has a FRC6943, so I can see it it is the right one?

Thanks in advance.

red64chevelle

If someone has one locally that I can buy so that I can keep moving on my project I would be interested, otherwise I just ordered one from Craddocks.

Roverman2010

Have you checked with Ashcrofts about this? I have a couple here both have no numbers and both the same. I can find no reason for differant part#s. Interesting.

Roverman2010

The only thing I can think of did they change the width of the bearing? I just knock both races on mine and both are Timken 18720. Red90 want do you say?

red64chevelle

The only thing I can think of did they change the width of the bearing? I just knock both races on mine and both are Timken 18720. Red90 want do you say?

Dave from Ashcroft said that the one I should be using is thinner. What I take that to mean is that the bearing race is closer to the input gear. That makes sense to me as with the wrong bearing housing I would need a lot of spacers on the outer side of the bearing race. So many (or technically, so thick of a spacer) that almost half of the outer race is not even be supported by the bearing housing.

Roverman2010

Could you do some measurements when you get the new one, would like to know what is in my spares box. Both have no numbers on. Cheers

red64chevelle

As promised, here are pictures of both bearing housings. The one I needed is thinner and is for the right gear. I pressed in the outer bearing race with a shim, checked the end-float, did some math to set the pre-load and removed/replaced the outer race with the proper shim installed. Everything is right as rain.

I forgot to take measurements of the thickness of the housing, but you can tell from the pictures that it puts the bearing race closer to the case.

Attachments

• IMG_20180718_132408.jpg
    IMG_20180718_132408.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20180718_132353.jpg
    IMG_20180718_132353.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 236

Roverman2010

As promised, here are pictures of both bearing housings. The one I needed is thinner and is for the right gear. I pressed in the outer bearing race with a shim, checked the end-float, did some math to set the pre-load and removed/replaced the outer race with the proper shim installed. Everything is right as rain.

I forgot to take measurements of the thickness of the housing, but you can tell from the pictures that it puts the bearing race closer to the case.

Thanks for this, mine look like the one on the left, need to ask where did the other one come from? was it fitted to the box you are redoing???

red64chevelle

Thanks for this, mine look like the one on the left, need to ask where did the other one come from? was it fitted to the box you are redoing???

Yep. I had an older non-cross drilled input gear and replaced it with the newer one. Even with the older gear there was some free-play. With the proper one and new gear I was able to shim it correctly for the bearing pre-load.

Funny part of that is that I ordered the input gear shim kit from Ashcroft. As my luck would have it, the original shim was the perfect size to get the correct pre-load.