Spy Shot Of Defender? Dec. 1

stu454

Callsign: KN4CBB
Right. Except.... you'd think they'd at least try to stop us from eyeing Jeep and Toyota for our next vehicle.

They're selling every vehicle they build almost as quickly as they're built. They are building new plants. They simply do not give a shit about the guy that will buy a $50k JK because that same guy's old lady will probably buy an Evoque, a Disco Sport, or a Velar.

As long as the new Defender is a Disco Sport-Sport I will probably be satisfied, if not pleased.

Viton

We all just need to face it and relish in the fact that we are fortunate to own a real Defender.
The next "one" will be as touted, "A highly capable mall cruizer" and as for appearance,
at best, look like a KIA Soul.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I'm sure Land Rover will be ready to absorb the grief us lot give them. Heck I thought the D2 was the end. But its actually pretty good.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Everybody always says the same arguments of why it should have X or Y or Z. I would have bought a DC100 in 2013 instead of the new Ford Escape I bought for my wife then. I love Rover products that look Rover. The new look sucks. I am fully ready for an all IFS/IRS vehicle that isn't uncomfortable, leaky, and 100% purpose built. I want it for driving to work, taking kids to school, going to the next biggest town for a shopping trip, but also want it to be able to do everything else a 4x4 should or could be able to do... and look the part. Consumers get that the vehicles they buy won't be like the SUVs of the 90s, but they don't have to be carbon copies of everything else on the road. That's the problem with Land Rover.

They are so dead set on the image and idea of being up market that they drag their feet on their products and end up behind the power curve. Jeep says, it's time. Then they build a product. It sells in HUGE volume. Rover products, while everybody claims fly off the shelf, are not and never will sell in the numbers required to make them a viable brand. They have made their choice in pushing each vehicle in its right segment up to the next segment up. Range Rover is now supposed to compete in the +100-150k department with the ridiculous SUVSs. The Sport is in old Range Rover territory. The Disco is now the Sport. The Disco sport is now the Disco. The Defender will not be the Freelander. It's going to compete against the Disco in the end. They are ruining it before it even has a chance. The yet to be seen Toyota FTX is going to eventually steal everything they have and the new Jeep Wrangler pickup will play cleanup on what once was the Defender market. They are 8 years late and a dollar short.

FlyersFan76

Regardless of what comes out it will be fun to see the reactions from the new defender owners when they see a real defender.

No doubt the obvious questions from them will be.

"What is that?"

"Defender? Never heard of it."

"I don't own a Land Rover, I own a Range Rover."

No doubt when looking at a Rover sitting up on the rocks at the dealer the customers probably say, "why would you park a nice car on the rocks like that."

My favorite reply to questions about the Defender to owners of other Rover products it.
"Your truck wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Land Rovers like mine.

Very similar scenarios within the Hummer brand.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Does anybody know what 70th anniversary event they are going to unveil the new Defender at this year? Is it the easter weekend one? I'm getting excited about the potential disappointment.

D90Overkill

Fear not. James Bond will drive one in the next movie.

He will chase one, ride in one, or crash one. He'll actually DRIVE an Aston, but probably crash that too! ;-)

Here's a still from the daily's... jk. Just my buddy's new baby and my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 200

Maine57S1

Hmm. October. I know why I care, even if I don't need one, I just don't want them to mess it up.

On the bright side in the likely event they mess it up yours will be worth more and if they somehow manage to surprise us you can run out and buy one...(college is overrated :)

Red90

Certainly side by side are what most people use off road. The point, though, of a "Land Rover" was a dual purpose vehicle suitable for both on and off road travel. In a Land Rover, I can drive 5000 miles to the trail head, spend two weeks off road and then drive back.

Red90

I doubt that. They are working with Mercedes and have stated price will be around $60000.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I'm just speaking of the ugly factor. I think it will end up looking like a Jeep and a Santana had a baby.