RH rear capping (corner piece)

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
I have a dent on the rear of my RH capping. Does anyone have a scrap piece where the welded seam on back are good? I don't think I can buy just that part anymore and the new ones seem to be one solid piece. Thanks.

WreckITFrank

Pic of what I'm after. Thanks
413a7771149932002ec08607663b3a02.jpg

WreckITFrank

Easily repaired.

likely the route im going as I think i can pull it off and just pound it out to get rid of the kink.

That being said, anyone have any experience with new rear tub panels? So many to choose from, mostly bearmach and britpart, some say "unbranded". Im doing both sides, as the PO smacked the corners in on the crossmember, so replacing that and all paneling.

The spot welds in the middle area of the below panel that connect to where the horizontal portion of side tub boxes, do most just rivet them in place? My metal guy doesn't have a spot welder.

British-Defender on Ebay have these for $110 shipped
panel.jpg

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Panel bond and some rivets through the cappings.

On our 90 we just had the cappings off to get some quality primer between the aluminum and steel. Used epoxy on the cappings and self etch on the bare aluminum @ top of panels. Also used dumdum between the two along the top. Took it all apart because we were painting it and changing the rear corner cappings to the NAS style so we can run the 95-97 style lights horizontally above the crossmember. Hard to go wrong there as rover did next to nothing to isolate the two metals there, so anything is an improvement over original.

WreckITFrank

Good info. So I'll rivet where the spot welds would be (small circles), and panel bond and rivet the steel pieces including the capping.
17ea93c8d180c5dd760f6a62719a9c63.jpg

WreckITFrank

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the parts I ordered fit to spec, or at least close. I'll post up once the job is underway.

WreckITFrank

Bearmach not messing around. New panels delivered in under 48 hours from hitting submit. Shipping speed and price amazing.
a281accbf88eb4f9222c2968ddc3a0de.jpg

WreckITFrank

Open it open it!!! Gotta see!!!!!
Thanks for sharing my excitement, my wife didn't understand the joy I felt from some "metal car parts from the UK"

Just a set of rear panels, caps, yrm lower tub supports, and wiper arm. All straight and seem decent quality.

a22174566528cf34df11167e81c0a691.jpg

WreckITFrank

Spot welds everywhere, had no idea. Finally stripped out the panels on both sides. Need to straighten the bottom bar on the outer corners.

I am finding no luck with anyone having a long arm spot welder, so likely will all be rivets.

30e9a3ceae6fa860675b288a5b9771a8.jpg
446e0480a9e9dda1d0a03e6aa08e5720.jpg
297443e8a04fdafcd6635c45c0d22637.jpg