Cummins Repower ISF 2.8 for Defenders

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
What are their mounts using for vibe isolators? Stock rubber ones?

I used their rectangular rubber mounts on the first truck. They were the ones they had used in a couple of jeep conversions, same ones that were in the Jeep Steve Sanders was seen with @ trade shows around the country. Seemed great for our application. That engine doesn't shake like a damn rover engine.

bkeef

What did you guys do for cruise control? I?m using a Dakota digital dash gage and haven?t found a good solution

Thanks in advance

brdhmltn

I sent an email to the Axis guys this morning. Chris replied the motor mounts would be weld, not bolt. Doesn?t make any big difference to me as I can weld. Should be on the list for a TDI kit. He said he?d keep me in the loop.

Going R380 will be the easiest way to get things up and running. I have been watching the 8hp70 builds as I can pick up one locally with sub-100 miles for less than a grand. Even with an extra adapter for the trans case, it?s still a wash vs the built Ashcroft R380. Shipping from Europe keeps going up even though the exchange rate is in our favor. I count my fab work as free since I?m doing it all.

There was one jeep R2.8 with 8hp70 on ultimate adventure and they raved about the gearing being perfect for the R2.8 Highway and Off-road. Seems from the people who have driven them that the 8 speed auto is the best match for the R2.8.

I?ve decided to get the R2.8 going now with ordering a stumpy R380 and see how the 8hp70 stuff shakes out later. I may or may not change over later. The wife suggested we may have to put an automatic in a 90 in the future - and is seems she was actually serious about it!

So I am going to be my own guinnea pig. I?m still not convinced the R380 will hold up to the R2.8. But I?ll have first hand experience to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaywardLR

Incredible work you guys! Obviously, I'm a bit behind on this, distracted by work and getting my 130 imported, but just saw and read through pretty much the whole thread. The idea of having a smoother running and more reliable power train in the buggies is great, and I'm all for the reduced emissions. A couple of personal thoughts from my experience:
1. I've had a pretty heavy 110 that I used for long range desert trips for several years with a 300TDI, full size IC, VNT, etc that frankly was a lot of fun to drive. Upwards of 150Hp and while more is probably better, don't know that I need a lot more. It was a used engine that I imported that wasn't too unreliable except for maybe the P gasket. The prospect of having a more reliable engine with that power and a little more, plus EPA compliant, is a big deal. I suspect that emissions compliance is going to become a bigger deal not too far down the road, perhaps even in Maine. At this point, if it takes an ECU to get there, probably the least of my worries.
2. With my two 200TDi defenders, and one with a stumpy r380, this would be an easy mod given motor mounts and R380 adapters now in production, particularly for non welding diy guys such as myself.

Great option that I'll take seriously in say a couple of years or so when I find more time on your side of the pond. Thanks for the great info.

On a side note, any word from Cummins as to how sales are going and if they are likely to do subsequent lots?

AdamSanta85

From anyone that has experience with this engine. Will this engine allow a fully loaded Defender to cruise effortlessly at 70-75mph on windy interstates? I imagine the answer is yes. This is my biggest pain point with my truck right now. I hate having to watch EGT's etc trying to motor on the highway.

A couple months ago I rented a diesel MB sprinter van. With 10 guys inside + luggage we were able to effortlessly cruise at 85+mph from SLC to Moab and back.

Here is a quote I found from some Jeep testers...

As for drivability, now this old hunk of patina’d iron easily hauls oats down the highway at 75 mph all day long while getting 22-23 mpg. That’s amazing given the beadlocks, 38-inch mud tires, our heavy right foot, and the aerodynamic acumen of a rusted brick.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1710-beta-testing-the-r2-8-diesel-with-cummins/