defendersource dead??

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
(Moved this thread into General where it belongs...)

Replying to Tbaumer's post here to keep the other thread pure.

I just want to thank everyone on this sight for letting this thread be informative, as it was intended & not making it the shit show it is on Dsource.

Completely agree. Everything about that other thread is just sad. It's not even the individual posters--it's just the entirety of the situation and the attitudes expressed. That board has devolved into Lord of the Flies. Thanks for keeping this place civil and primarily tech-focused.

NPT90

I am really confused by the perceived competition between the 2 sites:

(1) NAS-ROW is going to need a decade of active posting to cover everything that has already been posted on D90
(2) D90 has a way more active FS forum, I haven't sold anything through NAS-ROW (used parts, ect). That isn't a critique its just an observation, it's the primary reason I default to D90.

I have no allegiance to either, a few Mud-Pit disagreements on a forum aren't going to sour a whole site of information for me. In the end we all can be moody little jerks; pretty sure the background color of the site doesn't mean all that much.

O2batsea

As to the collected wisdom thing, there's more of that on this one page than you'll find in any search that you do on defendersource.

If I were to have any regrets about leaving (which I have not as of this post) it would be to leave that lovely build thread of mine behind....

NPT90

As to the collected wisdom thing, there's more of that on this one page than you'll find in any search that you do on defendersource.

Gotta work on that keyword optimization Bill ;)

Seriously though, when I use google and search for something specific it always ends up being covered on D90, even if it was 8 or 9 years ago.

Again, opinions, assholes, and all of that; just my observations.

Jeff B

I have no allegiance to either, a few Mud-Pit disagreements on a forum aren't going to sour a whole site of information for me. In the end we all can be moody little jerks; pretty sure the background color of the site doesn't mean all that much.

well,I feel kinda bad that D90 source has gone so far...

I actually joined D90Source in 2004 after I met Chris von C in person at a rally.
Having an older join date, I never see pop up ads and whatnot.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I am really confused by the perceived competition between the 2 sites:

(1) NAS-ROW is going to need a decade of active posting to cover everything that has already been posted on D90
(2) D90 has a way more active FS forum, I haven't sold anything through NAS-ROW (used parts, ect). That isn't a critique its just an observation, it's the primary reason I default to D90.

I moved over here because I wanted to support the owners of this site, and it was a good time to move after having such a flop on getting my truck back on the road a year, to the day, after I thought it would be, just because I'm such a hack and because of all the problems I had with parts and such.

But really, DSource just doesn't 'feel' right anymore. I'm of the opinion that this board is doing really well, has lots of good info, but that there are still valuable histories over on DSource. I go there a lot just to read through threads to learn something I'm searching for. Most of it is older stuff, because I'm a late comer to the Tdi crowd, so I'm learning the same things others learned over there 5-6 years ago. I've learned that reading the same info in multiple places, phrased in different ways, even sometimes by the same people, helps me understand what I need to better. But I've stopped posting over there, and I don't like the direction it is taking from the ownership, administration, side of things.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I understand standing by friends, but I don't understand why that forum consistently tolerates blatant scamming of consumers.

To some extent it is like the Defender theft problem in the UK. People know that the set of 4 push buttom doors from a 2015 that are mint with a complete 110 interior shouldn't be that cheap and in that condition if it was out of an insurance write-off accident vehicle, yet people keep buying parts from obviously stolen vehicles. Despite multiple rip offs if some people still get a good transaction or deal then they're happy. They got theirs, screw everyone else.

Red90

I understand standing by friends, but I don't understand why that forum consistently tolerates blatant scamming of consumers.

You are suggesting it is the forum moderator's job to decide which businesses are good and which are bad and then ban what they may think are bad? Perhaps you should step back and think about all the ways that would go wrong.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
You are suggesting it is the forum moderator's job to decide which businesses are good and which are bad and then ban what they may think are bad? Perhaps you should step back and think about all the ways that would go wrong.

I don't think he is saying it is the moderators, I think he is saying it is the forum as a whole. Just like when the guy bought the Arkonik truck that leaked water in and everyone jumped on the buyer because "its a Defender, they all leak." At least in that scenario Mike Smith chimed in and pointed out that the trucks he builds don't leak because they actually water test them.

Red90

So he is complaining because people have opinions in a forum that are different than his own? They do all leak. Maybe not an ECR build, but those cost 5 times what the truck was new, so they better not. Basically he wants to see a lynch mob every time someone has a bad experience. How about we just let people express their views freely as long as they are civil...

mgreenspan

Founding Member
No. I am only ever mgreenspan on forums. Except reddit I'm HIGH_HEAT.
Cowboy over there in that thread just kept slagging off nas-row and dweb. I didn't get his beef.

Red90. I am saying that for some reason that forum of all the LR forums tolerates it as a whole over and over again. Nothing to do with opinions being different. Not asking for a lynch mob but they seem to be lynching the guys who got ripped off. You couldn't even make a logical statement without somebody biting your head off in that thread.

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
That makes more sense. You both just had the exact same response on the two sites. He must have cut and pasted