Enjoy before restore?

Tbaumer

Technical Excellence Contributor
Getting upgrades and gear together for future off road ventures.
I like the stock bumper look without the A bar or brush guard, but need a winch so I'm leaning toward the Mantec camel trophy style winch bumper #RNA7403 sold by Rovers North or the similar Terrafirma winch bumper.
Any reason to NOT buy either?

Tbaumer

One day I will be taking it all apart for a full restore, but for now, I am sticking with my plan to keep it drivable while I dial in the upgrades I want.

I just received my 200 tdi engine kit (After a bit of a nightmare in customs that delayed release) & I think this engine is going to need a thorough mechanical inspection & cleaning before it is installed.
New radiator, starter and clutch kit are in good condition. I hope the engine and tranny are in better shape than my initial impression upon opening the crate.

I'm looking forward to more power & learning all about this engine ...I think.

IMG_6077.jpgIMG_0176.jpgIMG_0706.jpg
IMG_9929.jpgIMG_2260.jpg

Better add that I'm not bad mouthing it. After all, it is a 30 year old engine.

1of40

One day I will be taking it all apart for a full restore, but for now, I am sticking with my plan to keep it drivable while I dial in the upgrades I want.

I just received my 200 tdi engine kit (After a bit of a nightmare in customs that delayed release) & I think this engine is going to need a thorough mechanical inspection & cleaning before it is installed.
New radiator, starter and clutch kit are in good condition. I hope the engine and tranny are in better shape than my initial impression upon opening the crate.

I'm looking forward to more power & learning all about this engine ...I think.

View attachment 2335View attachment 2336View attachment 2337
View attachment 2338View attachment 2339

Better add that I'm not bad mouthing it. After all, it is a 30 year old engine.

I had the same experience when my 200 arrived. I also experienced project creep as a result. I kept hearing voices in my head saying its easier to address things like freeze plugs and all gaskets and seals while it is on the stand.

Tbaumer

I think these trucks lend themselves to being restored because you can't work on them without finding something else that needs attention!
I knew, when I discovered my black 110 was originally brown, that during my rebuild (down the road) I would find stuff covered up, but I haven't started my restoration -
I keep finding more "Have to fix THIS before I can do THAT" stuff every time I make a change.

DefendersNW

Getting upgrades and gear together for future off road ventures.
I like the stock bumper look without the A bar or brush guard, but need a winch so I'm leaning toward the Mantec camel trophy style winch bumper #RNA7403 sold by Rovers North or the similar Terrafirma winch bumper.
Any reason to NOT buy either?

Husky winches discontinued this year...

As a Defender owner and Superwinch dealer this makes me very sad

I do still have a bumper and winch on the shelf, but they are going into our CTT project build.

Tbaumer

This is what I am talking about - Removed the European style tow ball & bottom ladder step, so I could test fit the step bumper I just got (I know the forward attachments need extended to fit a 110), & noticed wrinkled paint on the cross member. Quick tap with a hammer & now I'm ordering a galvanized cross member.

IMG_4496.jpg IMG_7456.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg IMG_7079.jpg

Does anyone have a use for this?

IMG_7320.jpg IMG_9786.jpg IMG_4287.jpg

Tbaumer

I do still have a bumper and winch on the shelf, but they are going into our CTT project build.

Is this a tease?
Seriously though, I went on Defenders Northwest website and did not see cross members, just entire galvanized chassis. You're delivering a couple seats for me this weekend, do you have (And have room to add) a galvanized crossmember?

PM sent.

Napalm00

Before you take the Epic amount of time to do a galvanized crossmember. Make sure you thoroughly check top and bottom all corners of your chassis. I was going to do a cross member as well and then found so many other places on my chassis that we're totally screwed I didn't want to put in the labor time and just saved up for a full chassis. The full chassis is so much more solid it's like a totally different truck.

When I bought my Chassis from Richards I even had the stamp the VIN on the frame The Factory location before it was galvanized.

Tbaumer

Okay. Hammer tested the rest of the chassis & I feel pretty good about it.
I'm getting into repairs that don't fit the "Enjoy before restore" theme.
Time for a cross member replacement thread!

Tbaumer

Or not.
Had an educational meet up with Brian from DefendersNW today & found out that the "cross member" that I have been talking about is actually the rear of the chassis (see previous pics).
Okaaaay. My lack of knowledge isn't embarrassing. Since I am planning on a full galvanized chassis at restore, I am back to gathering parts, dialing in what I want & driving what I have until then.

Tbaumer

From what I read, this will come as no surprise to anyone who has had a Land Rover - Every part I remove reveals some thing else that needs to be done! It would be cruel if it wasn't self inflicted.
My seat box is out for a redesign, removed my floor panels & I see the top of the chassis that couldn't be accessed when my 110 was painted. Time to bust some more rust & at least seal it where I can before I cover it up again.

IMG_5183.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_1633.jpgIMG_6021.jpg

Tbaumer

Even with things apart & un-drivable, I am still in the "enjoy" part of this rig. Along with the seat box redesign & upcoming engine swap, I'm spot removing & sealing the rust I can get to without going all "restore".
Pics for proof. (Shop vac hose is holding open my middle door until the POR15 is dry)

IMG_4195.jpgIMG_5076.jpgIMG_4319.jpg
IMG_6858.jpgIMG_5066.jpgIMG_2341.jpg

Tbaumer

aka..........Shipfitter's Disease

I looked back on this thread that started in December 2016 😲. It has been uninterrupted projects since then! I HAVE been driving it in between repairs/upgrades posted on other threads, but I have to say - The way these trucks force task switching before you finish the previous, is like the opposite of a Rube Goldberg machine - instead of being overly complicated to perform a simple task, these trucks are so simple that one thing leads to another until you lose track of all of the unfinished things that you started!

Tbaumer

Good example: Removing the lower dash to trace wiring for a fuse box upgrade to blade fuses, meant removing EVERYTHING in the way & since the heater box opening is now exposed, I might as well enlarge it. The heater flapper door was out of adjustment & could use some new foam insulation. Better do that before I forget. Good time to clean & stick some B-Quiet sound deadener to the now accessible bulkhead. I know you get it... now what was it that I started working on...?!?

IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 150

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I looked back on this thread that started in December 2016 😲. It has been uninterrupted projects since then! I HAVE been driving it in between repairs/upgrades posted on other threads, but I have to say - The way these trucks force task switching before you finish the previous, is like the opposite of a Rube Goldberg machine - instead of being overly complicated to perform a simple task, these trucks are so simple that one thing leads to another until you lose track of all of the unfinished things that you started!
Ain't that the truth.
I don't hoard. I just have unfinished projects. Hmm Thats going to be my new signature.