Spy shot of new Defender

The_Vermonster

I'd be ok with a DC100 for a few reasons. For starters, almost all concept vehicles have stupid massive rims with low profile tires. I think some 16-17in rims with 33's would make it look a lot more rugged. The front end can easily be changed by an aftermarket bumper. Maybe some cutting will be needed. Other than that, I have no major objections.

7363622018.jpg

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I agree with you in a way. I think the DC100 would make a good addition to the super boring line-up Rover has right now. This is what I said when they first showed it off like 7 years ago. However, I don't see it as a replacement for the Defender.

I don't think it will have removable front or rear bumpers. And I don't think you can fit 16" wheels in there.

RamblerRob

Yeah I kind of feel like the DC 100 would make a good iteration for the discovery but doesn't really speak very loudly to its defender heritage

Jburt

I think we all know Land Rover doesn't give a wet rat fart what folks like us think they should do.
And it's not just LR. I rented a Jeep Renegade once, it was sad. Everyone expects the best of all worlds. "I want massive power but fuel efficient and comfort but washable with a hose and aerodynamic but 10" clearance and not kill pedestrians who are too stupid to put down a phone and walk. Oh, and make it from aluminum and make it $30K."

Topperkenobi

What are,your expectations for the new defender? What capabilities you expect to have? I think it will all be plastic inside and simple. It should,probably needs to have the tdi6 or tdi8 engine with the 8 speed auto transmission, but with pedals in the eteeeing wheel to help yo reduce gears. It should have the Terrain control 2 and an option to disable it. I would still prefer to have two levers to lock ten differential.

JP

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I'd say it's safe to assume it'll be IFS/IRS and only visually different than the Discovery 5. We haven't seen any "spy shots" which means it's probably been tested as a Discovery 5 the entire time. It's about a year out from being released right?

I hope it's great. I'm expecting complete disappointment. The author from that article doesn't get the heritage, or has somehow forgotten it. "McGovern's previous work on Range Rover and Discovery, I believe, point the way to the next Defender. When the Range Rover was replaced in 2013, the basic shape stayed the same. The sloping roof remained and the shape of the side windows was evolutionary, not revolutionary. The biggest appearance changes came in the vehicle's jewelry -- the headlights, taillights, grille and exterior badging. All were new and fresh and yet were reminiscent in some way of the brand's styling cues. The interior became softer and more sophisticated."

The headlights, taillights, grille, and badging were all forced upon the brand by McGovern starting with the Evoque. It then bled into every vehicle. The grille is maybe reminiscent, the lights are the farthest thing from that. Now they look like every other car on the road. I'll add that a lot more garbage skirting was added to the shape of all the vehicles. They are truck/minivans. Trinivans.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
It's about a year out from being released right?

Isn't that what they said in 2012?

At this point, I'd be happy if they just stuck with the DC100, like some of the fan-drawn mock-ups we've seen. Everything else we've heard seems like even more of a let-down on the way.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I agree. I liked the DC100 minus the dumbass Gerry McGovern big rim look. A set of 16" or even 17" rims with actual tires with sidewall on them would have made it look tough enough to have been purchased over the 2013 Ford Escape I bought my wife back then.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I mean, if the production model had a bit more clearance and the ability to fit proper tires, maybe a proper bumper, and the soft top, two doors, pickup cab options.... who knows?! Could be something to it.

Attachments

• C042D6E6-2598-4100-A752-AD513ACD2902.jpeg
    C042D6E6-2598-4100-A752-AD513ACD2902.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 233