US based parts suppliers

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Parts that went into my truck came from (in no particular order) Rovahfarm, Safari HP, Roverparts, Roversnorth, Paddocks, Lucky 8, Roversdownsouth (RIP), Paddocks, John Richards, and a few others I forget.

My biggest project remaining is the dash.

Viton

Shipping anything anymore is just unpredictable and expensive.

I shipped a small box (about 3" x 3" x 7" weighing 1lb to Michigan from Philadelphia. - $17

Shipped another box (about 7" x 7" x 11") weighing 25lbs to Miami from Philadelphia - $20

And that is BEFORE any S&H charges that might be added depending on what I ship.

UPS likes to charge for volume AND weight. Sometimes it sucks and sometimes it really sucks.

Years ago freight companies added a fuel surcharge to invoices because of increased fuel costs. Now that the fuel costs are back down to the level that they were before the surcharge they are still charging the surcharge. Good for them when the surcharge could pay for the entire load of a tractor trailer and you only have 2 skids on the truck.

But comparing shipping costs and time between domestic and europe can almost be the same or quicker.

I do try to spread my spending around though.

USPS has great prices for shipping & they supply the boxes of various sizes & you get a tracking number.

Sent a set of 4 wheel spacers from AZ to PA for $20.00 , Got there in 3 days. There's no way UPS of FedEx could come close to that price or time frame for twenty bucks.

rovercolorado

LRDirect.com is the fastest shipper by far and they always have what I need in stock. Their down side is they have zero tech support. If you don't have a part number you aren't going to order from them. Also a return to the U.K. would be a PITA.

BIG shout out to LRDirect. I just placed a pretty big order and the order was placed on a Thursday late UK time and I had everything Tuesday afternoon in the US. I priced US suppliers and for 2 parts I got 14 from the UK for the same money. Added bonus the shipping was less than many recent US based orders.
Yes you have to have a part number for everything you want but they now have a customer support number available for US customers. I like that they carry lots of brands and let you choose the manufacture and price point you want.
I will not purchase from US sources unless it's available at same price and cheaper shipping. I see zero need to shop US anymore.

AdamSanta85

BIG shout out to LRDirect. I just placed a pretty big order and the order was placed on a Thursday late UK time and I had everything Tuesday afternoon in the US. I priced US suppliers and for 2 parts I got 14 from the UK for the same money. Added bonus the shipping was less than many recent US based orders.
Yes you have to have a part number for everything you want but they now have a customer support number available for US customers. I like that they carry lots of brands and let you choose the manufacture and price point you want.
I will not purchase from US sources unless it's available at same price and cheaper shipping. I see zero need to shop US anymore.

I love that I end up with 5-10 gaskets for the price of 1. Yes I have lots of spares now but it has saved mine and some local guys butts a couple times.

rovercolorado

No real ding to US based suppliers as they have overhead with people inventory and such but when you can't touch something like a transfer box output flange kit (STC3432/33) for under $50 US and they can be purchased all day long for $16 in the UK it's hard to justify buying US. The shipping is also crazy. I have shipped lots of small parts to people on forums and eBay sales and it's always crazy the prices you have to pay to move stuff across the country. But somehow LRDirect gets DHL to deliver from UK to US (CO) for only a few dollars more than I can send from CO to CA or NY.

US based suppliers are fans of the brand and very knowledgeable in many cases so I would much prefer to use them but it's hard to not maximize my dollar and spend across the pond. Added bonus is the extra gaskets and washers and the many other small items that come the packaged deals offered overseas.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
All good points. For me, if I need something, its usually for a customers truck. If a US based supplier doesnt have it on the shelf, they have to order it from the UK and none of them drop ship directly. If after a couple calls I can't find something here, in the interest of time, I order from the UK myself. I like LRdirect because the site show's if its in stock for immediate shipment or not.

I recently made a large order from SP 4x4. Large as in a pair of doors and 3 pairs of wings, IE 3 huge boxes. The shipping cost was 200gbp and the items went from SP in Liverpool to American Airlines @ Manchester airport and flew into Philly and then were trucked down to the Richmond, Va airport where I went and cleared them through customs and picked the crates up. From the time the crates left SP @ Liverpool to in my hands was 48 hrs, zero damage to anything. Pretty hard to beat that for $259 bucks.

That said, it is way easier, while working on a truck, to pick up the phone, send Zack a text and ask if he has something. He says yes, last 4 of the card you want use ? Bamm, Bob's your Uncle.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
No real ding to US based suppliers as they have overhead with people inventory and such but when you can't touch something like a transfer box output flange kit (STC3432/33) for under $50 US and they can be purchased all day long for $16 in the UK it's hard to justify buying US. The shipping is also crazy. I have shipped lots of small parts to people on forums and eBay sales and it's always crazy the prices you have to pay to move stuff across the country. But somehow LRDirect gets DHL to deliver from UK to US (CO) for only a few dollars more than I can send from CO to CA or NY.

US based suppliers are fans of the brand and very knowledgeable in many cases so I would much prefer to use them but it's hard to not maximize my dollar and spend across the pond. Added bonus is the extra gaskets and washers and the many other small items that come the packaged deals offered overseas.

All good points. For me, if I need something, its usually for a customers truck. If a US based supplier doesnt have it on the shelf, they have to order it from the UK and none of them drop ship directly. If after a couple calls I can't find something here, in the interest of time, I order from the UK myself. I like LRdirect because the site show's if its in stock for immediate shipment or not.

I recently made a large order from SP 4x4. Large as in a pair of doors and 3 pairs of wings, IE 3 huge boxes. The shipping cost was 200gbp and the items went from SP in Liverpool to American Airlines @ Manchester airport and flew into Philly and then were trucked down to the Richmond, Va airport where I went and cleared them through customs and picked the crates up. From the time the crates left SP @ Liverpool to in my hands was 48 hrs, zero damage to anything. Pretty hard to beat that for $259 bucks.

That said, it is way easier, while working on a truck, to pick up the phone, send Zack a text and ask if he has something. He says yes, last 4 of the card you want use ? Bamm, Bob's your Uncle.

The sp deal may be a great way to get cages in the US as well. They are a bearmach supplier so they can get SD cages.

LR Max

For $75 USD or below, I buy from Roversnorth. Anything above that, I buy from LRDirect.

I used to use Rovahfarm, but over the last few years, I've had to keep calling Trevor to ask him to ship my parts. I thought ordering online through his website would make life easier, but I guess not. Overall I'm done with the lack of service. Recently bought a few bits from RN. Ordered it Tuesday, USPS had it in my mailbox on Friday. No complaints.

I'm going to give Bearmach a shot since they've been handing out 10% discount codes like candy.

But yes, LRDirect has been awesome. Order Sunday, get it by Thursday. Heck they are FASTER than ordering from Trevor (for me at least).

AdamSanta85

Wow good to know. That shipping is a lot less then I would have expected.

Def2ns

You guys want to check that out 4WheelOnline. I've seen them selling Firestone ride rite air springs for 1990-1997 Defender 90, as well as Air Lift air spring kit for 1993-1995 Defender 90 and 110.

FlyersFan76

USPS has great prices for shipping & they supply the boxes of various sizes & you get a tracking number.

Sent a set of 4 wheel spacers from AZ to PA for $20.00 , Got there in 3 days. There's no way UPS of FedEx could come close to that price or time frame for twenty bucks.

Just now seeing this reply.

Wow that is good pricing. And my prices that I sent were contract/customer prices. We get UPS drop off and pick up everyday. I think we need to renegotiate.

KGH

I have also found that Rimmer is a solid choice.

I do like using www.landroverworkshop.com

Used Workshop to find proper German spec Puma headlamp assemblies I needed.

So much for the US based supplier theme of thread :)

Just ordered complete TD4 adjustable headlamp assemblies, Britpart vinyl twill front seat retrim kits at $72 ea, and Britpart vinyl twill cubby box for $60 from Rimmer. They price matched lower cost suppliers, and shipping is 75 bucks.

That's new seatcovers, foams, and cubby for under $280, freight included. Will follow up after redoing seats with ExMoor vs. BritPart review.