NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Cummins ISF2.8 Engine Conversions

Old 12-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #31
Roverman2010

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
John,
I'll let you know. Had emailed Hosanna @ Ashcrofts asking if they'd like to buy the 4 back.
Doug, don't worry about it. Just took stock I have a rebuilt 77 and two waiting to be gone through. And two 380's on the shelf. I think I have enough 77's to last me for old red. Just out of interest what is the height/width of a stumpy b/h. Engine side to gearbox. Thanks
Roverman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #32
Adam

this is sexy - rising up the list for circa 2020 projects
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #33
Overlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Chris wants new threads so going to splinter off and document what we are doing.
I'm not in love with using automatics behind diesels. Maybe its just me being old school. I built a v8 manual trail 90 just to force Trey to learn to drive a stick. To me the much greater compression braking you get from a diesel that is only able to be utilized with a manual is a big deal, and then there is economy/range is important.
We have 5 spec built radiators and intercoolers now ready to ship to us after a long wait. After meeting with Steve @ the Cummins booth @ Expo East I got in touch with Chad Mckinney/Quickdraw Brands and got him fired up to develop a custom bell housing for the short R380. I did this based on others he had on display in the Cummins booth. He's having a prototype cut out of a billet block for me and expects to have it in my hands third week of January. We are going this route rather than wait for castings which will likely take until March. A new bellhousing is a better mousetrap than trying to utilize an adapter ring and allows us to use the flywheel Cummins supplies with the engine.
I sent him a stumpy as well as a Rover clutch but asked that he figure out the largest beefiest clutch disc that had the same spline configuration as the Rover trans. He laughed when he saw the stock Rover 4cyl clutch disc I sent him for mock up. Chad found that an early 70's Chrysler V8 clutch disc fits perfectly so we will be using these readily available off the shelf, complete 70's muscle car clutch setup with these Cummins to R380 kits.
Once we've got this dialed in, a diy'er you will be able to purchase an off the shelf kit from Chad @ Quickdraw.
In the future the stumpys we order will be sans bell housing which should help a good bit with the price from Ashcrofts.
You're my F'n hero Doug.
Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlander For This Useful Post:
Uncle Douglas (12-21-2018)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #34
rlynch356

Member Trucks

just for future thought doug, could this be used to convert my V8 1992? assuming a new stumpy transmission, the new bell housing etc.. mine has been converted already to a 3.9 and R380 though(including tunnel and seatbox from the looks of it) ... eventually i'm going to change it for something more powerful.
rlynch356 is online now   Reply With Quote