Truetrac question.......

Jrose609

This may be a total rookie question........

I have a Truetrac mounted in a Land Rover differential. The diff is in a 5-gallon bucket at the moment. The previous owner thought is was a front truetrac, but he wasn't sure.

Is there a way to tell if a truetrac differential is set up as a front or rear without disassembling the diff?

Funny enough, I did a google search, and I found several posts on PIRATE where Jeepers said it didn't matter if the Truetrac was a front or rear because they work the same. They said it was a marketing ploy for Truetrac to be able to sell front and rear lockers.

UnfrozenCaveman

Mine's been in the front of the Disco for 14 or 15 years...I think the difference is the installation of the worm gear...I know, it's technically not a work gear, but you know what I'm talking about.

I'll be darned if I remember which way the go.

However...Bill Davis - http://gbrutah.com/ knows :)

Jrose609

So, without tearing apart my differential..........is there a way to tell if it is a front or rear?

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
There wasn't a difference when I got mine as far as I remember. I selected the trutrac for the front and the detroit for the rear---there wasn't an options for "front" or "rear".

Daddymow

I bought my Trutrac for my front difff off a forum member and it came out of his rear (diff) I then went on Discoweb and they have instructions on how to switch it around for a front diff.

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
Definitely have to swap the configuration around. I did tris on my last Rangie however I cannot recall how you would be able to tell which it is set up for unless you dive into it.