Tools

Roverman2010

It seems of late alot of folk are posting about overheating issues, with out knowing if it really overheating, I have had a IR gun for many years, they are cheap. Darn site cheaper than throwing on new parts without knowing for sure if it really is over heating or the gauge or sender is knackered.

The best item is a multimeter and a test lamp.

rovercolorado

https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Non-co...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JA3BMDW

$15.98 is cheap and lots of sources.

100% agree with owning a multimeter. I have an old Radio Shack that I've had for 20 years and it sets on the top of my toolbox since it's often the first thing needed.
https://www.amazon.com/ELIKE-T-92-S...F8&qid=1489517639&sr=1-8&keywords=multimeters

$10.99 you can spend more but if it gets dropped cheap to replace.

I learned a lot from my grandfather who was a twenty something in the great depression. Bleeding brakes, changing oil, checking cooling systems, rotating tires I helped him when I was a young kid and it has stuck with me to this day. Basic troubleshooting can be easily done with a quick search online and by asking friendly folks who are on this board. Shop manuals are a great resource as well and many can be found online for free.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
It seems of late alot of folk are posting about overheating issues, with out knowing if it really overheating, I have had a IR gun for many years, they are cheap. Darn site cheaper than throwing on new parts without knowing for sure if it really is over heating or the gauge or sender is knackered.

The best item is a multimeter and a test lamp.

I have a snap on one I have had for 20yrs now. It has a little red laser that illuminates where the temp reading is being taken. Great for moving all across a radiator looking for cold spots/blockages.
That tool has saved countless hours of troubleshooting, systems on trucks that were or were not over heating (ie gauge says it is but it isn't).