Cummins Repower ISF 2.8 for Defenders

NPT90

So plus or minus 10% on my estimate based on your initial findings. I mean it's not an obscene price for a swap given that the LS swaps are running at least this by the time you deal with the electronics and the fabrication. If you could put the cummins in without having to hack the floorpans ect to pieces that would certainly save some serious time.

If you could re-use your drivetrain from the transmission back that would also be a huge consideration.

Concerning electronics, it's really minimal I suppose since the only real gauges on everything but the newest TDCI dashboards its essentially manual or simple on/off wiring or analog senders that would just need to be adapter with a splice for location.

Nice write up

Red90

They are doing the complete radiator, intercooler, condenser setup as bolt in with piping as well.

Red90

Lots of posts on their social media.

e31bd86b3d3f3a642d353f4346221126.png

1ef00f5cb9a73b5ce7bcf73aacd34a4d.jpg
13a43fde8cc79536f28f985c92d40188.jpg

rherl

I sent Kevin a email the other day. Mounts are going to be roughly $400. $2000 for the 8HP70 to LT230 adapter. $1460 for engine to trans adapter. I did not ask on the stumpy. The motor is $9275 with my state sales tax and the current incentive. I did not get the cost on the ECM for the 8HP70. It seems a rebuild 8HP70 is around $2500ish. With the 8HP70 the either new drive shafts or re-tubed drive shafts at $200-500 for re-tubed.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
My gut tells me that Uncle Doug & Co are fast reaching the point where experience has shown them the best combination of parts to get these engines and gearboxes installed and running. Do something enough times, and you'll make it look easy.

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
so catching up to this, based on this configuration, I'm thinking about the donor I'll want to buy. If I want to drop this on a galvanized chassis with the stumpy R380 and LT230, is there a stock rover motor mount that will allow bolt on for the AXIS setup? I'm trying to determine if I can buy a galvanized 110 chassis in advance or go thru the extra work of having to dip after mounts are welded on

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Man, I wish y'all would start breaking this thread up into separate topics for this. I'm interested in the conversion but this is quickly turning into a megathread that's almost too daunting to read.

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
Man, I wish y'all would start breaking this thread up into separate topics for this. I'm interested in the conversion but this is quickly turning into a megathread that's almost too daunting to read.
Chris, was that comment meant for me? I'm asking if the Cummins can mount to any factory location. Thats seems relevant to the original intent of this thread I started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

300 tdi bulkhead best for the Cummins 2.8 Conversion

Planning to convert to the Cummins r2.8 in my 84 110. Building from Ground up at present.

Ordering new bulkhead, Is the best match for the r2.8 one that would have been for a 300tdi engine. I assume so, but just want a second opinion.

Any Help would be appreciated.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Planning to convert to the Cummins r2.8 in my 84 110. Building from Ground up at present.

Ordering new bulkhead, Is the best match for the r2.8 one that would have been for a 300tdi engine. I assume so, but just want a second opinion.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Why not repair your current bulkhead? I don't recall UD mentioning anything about bulkhead modifications.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Chris, was that comment meant for me? I'm asking if the Cummins can mount to any factory location. Thats seems relevant to the original intent of this thread I started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not intended for anyone I particular; it's a general comment about this thread. Love the thread and all of the awesome posts buts its becoming nearly impossible for the newcomer to consume. I think that it behooves the commercial folks here to start breaking out some threads and showing off their services and/or parts kits. In particular, I'd love to see a "So you want a Cummins..." thread with the ten minute overview of the conversation.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
Not intended for anyone I particular; it's a general comment about this thread. Love the thread and all of the awesome posts buts its becoming nearly impossible for the newcomer to consume. I think that it behooves the commercial folks here to start breaking out some threads and showing off their services and/or parts kits. In particular, I'd love to see a "So you want a Cummins..." thread with the ten minute overview of the conversation.

Personally I find this a little funny and have wondered how big this thread would grow. There was so much bashing of a certain long LS engine thread on another forum, the talk of starting fresh with a new format, and basically the exact same thing happening. Don’t get me wrong— I agree and sympathize with you— I just find it funny. Seems people and habits have a way of repeating themselves. I actually understand why but I too would love to see technical subdivisions... just not holding me breath...the very reason you posted that here (to reach the target audience) is the same reason it grows. It is a great thread...

When I purchased this 110, the bulkhead was missing. I bought this one because it had a new heavy duty frame, and all new suspension. Bought it cheaper than I could have done the work myself. Guy I bought it from burned out early. When I called to reorder a rebuilt galvanized bulkhead, they said to just tell them what engine is in it and they would send me the correct bulkhead. I said the 300tdi because I intend to use a stumpy r380 behind the engine and from what I have gleaned from UD's and others posts, this seems to be a sufficient setup for the torque output of the R2.8. Any suggestions on my setup welcome.

Thanks to all for any info.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
300 tdi didn't come with the stumpy. The stumpy is a special transmission designed to retro fit/ replace LT77's and works with the Lt77 floors, tunnel, and seatbox. The stumpy we order isnt the run of the mill one.

Every bulkhead has an adapter flange that screws to it under the fuse box to work with whatever drivetrain configuration.
This is why there was no major modification to the bulkheads from 1983-2007.

NPT90

Personally I find this a little funny and have wondered how big this thread would grow. There was so much bashing of a certain long LS engine thread on another forum, the talk of starting fresh with a new format, and basically the exact same thing happening. Don?t get me wrong? I agree and sympathize with you? I just find it funny. Seems people and habits have a way of repeating themselves. I actually understand why but I too would love to see technical subdivisions... just not holding me breath...the very reason you posted that here (to reach the target audience) is the same reason it grows. It is a great thread...

Until it's a 'write up' this is what you get. Usually those offshoot threads happen once someone does a solo install for something like this.

Search is your best friend

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Cummins powered 90 we built will be @ MAR. Setting up/ challenge made for a drag race with the guy talking all the shit about a damn 292.

My only worry is that the 90 may spend all of its time airborne and the UPS truck engined 110 will have the traction advantage.