OM606 Revisited for Defender

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Yeah these Mercedes diesels are some of the best choices for the DIY swaps. The 617 is even more common and can also make big Power.

NPT90

Yeah these Mercedes diesels are some of the best choices for the DIY swaps. The 617 is even more common and can also make big Power.

I have looked at the 617 but its more in the ballpark with the 300TDI in terms of tune-ability and overall feel. The 606 seems to run a lot smoother with less noise and the option for serious power is out there. I know people have tuned the 617s to high output but it would be the same investment as the 300TDI in most cases.

let's face it, they are all 20 year old engines, the 606 is the closest cost/benefit 'modern' diesel I can justify hahaha

OM606 drive defender 90 Mind you they have a quick spool turbo kit in the 90. But overall I think this gives you some idea of the sound

OM617 in a Range rover Hard to get a full picture without similar (factory) exhausts fitted but its a baseline as close as you can get

NPT90

722.6 Applications

Also interesting to note, depending on if you decide to use the 722.6 Auto in your build there would be a huge number of shifter assemblies you could pick up second hand for short money.

NPT90

The point of the information was to let you understand that there are alternate sources such as a junk yard.

gotcha, from what I have read they came in a number of variations on the disco 2 including CDL and non CDL versions. The install video makes me think it would be easy enough to remove from a junkyard truck with minimal effort.

Ash

In terms of transmission options, I currently have an adapter to bolt a 6L80 or 6L90 behind a 606, which sets you up to run Nick's LT230 adapter. The motor seems like an awesome option and the potential for power is impressive. Not to mention the ability to go full mechanical with a 603 pump and keep things simple.

-Ash

NPT90

In terms of transmission options, I currently have an adapter to bolt a 6L80 or 6L90 behind a 606, which sets you up to run Nick's LT230 adapter. The motor seems like an awesome option and the potential for power is impressive. Not to mention the ability to go full mechanical with a 603 pump and keep things simple.
-Ash

Diesel Pump UK offers a OM606 to LS adapter

Interesting stuff for sure, however the cost associated with 2 adapters makes this swap get expensive fast (same relative cost for transmission controllers). If you can indeed re-use the prop shafts with the R380 adapter that would be another $1000 you could pocket.

DieselpumpUK has gone ahead and made a casting for the 'g-wagon' oil pan and are going to start producing those. This would make the swap parts readily available from a single source.

Part of the reason I put this together was the relatively low cost of buying a donor car with all ancillaries. I found that the cost in adapters was lower with the swap as well. OM606 to R380, single adapter. OM606 with 722.6(controller) to LT-230, single adapter. A big consideration in engine swaps is the amount and cost of adapters, mounts, and standalone controllers. Even if you have to source an OM603 pump you are talking about sourcing a pump (~$500) fitting the pump (blood, sweat, and maybe tears) and buying the bits to make it work.

With the standalone OM606 controller you can not only run the engine as it sits but you can also get a mild tune for less than $1000 installed. Obviously tons of options here just my 2 cents for how I would skin the cat.

NPT90

Dieselpump UK now offers a full kit

You can look yourself but the gist is:
  • 200 bhp £14,500 “LOW SMOKE”
  • 300 bhp £16,500 “FAST ROAD”
  • 400 bhp (we strongly advise upgraded transmission & axle internals) £21,500 “LS EATER”
Shipping is approximately $2K to USA

includes:
  • Complete engine assembly
  • Transmission adapter system
  • Custom rebuilt r380 5speed transmission
  • Cooling system and upgraded components
  • Engine mounting system
So thats pretty all inclusive: "OM606 6cylinder crate engines are refreshed, with new turbos, injector pumps, ancillaries and are stand alone NO ENGINE ECU REQUIRED, this means simple reliable POWER."

Basically a 200BHP OM606 into a defender with all ancillaries, rebuilt R380, all the bits and a mechanical diesel with a 1 year warranty landed to your door for approximately $21K. Add on some adapters for the existing sensors and you have a full swap with minimal fabrications required.

Compared with the cost of a 300TDI/R380 conversion to 200TDI/earlier trucks is approximately:
$3500-$6K engine
$1500 Rebuilt R380
$1500 in ancillaries and hoses ect
$1000 in crossmembers, engine mounts ect
Call it $10K before Install.

606 Defender

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Eye opener. Low smoke kit shipped to the US is right around our installed price for the 2.8 with a new tcase thrown in, turn key.

The Fast Rd 300bhp must be brutal. Interesting they are using an R380 behind it. Video with the puma is cool for its exhaust note- noisy bugga.

Last edited:

NPT90

Eye opener. Low smoke kit shipped to the US is right around our installed price for the 2.8 with a new tcase thrown in, turn key.

Didn't realize Cummins swaps where coming in that low, honestly haven't been able to ascertain price in all the muck.

donb

That Holset HX35 looks so good how it is installed.

That video is impressive but seems like that 90 is ending up being more of a street machine (visually plus the crossover pipe hanging pretty low and in the middle of the frame). Nothing wrong with that especially with how fun it looks like he has driving it.

Impressive stuff but like Doug said that R2.8 can be installed for that $21k price (and according to my R2.8 spreadsheet not far off parts wise to your 300tdi figure). But there seems to be a place for the OM606 installs. Thanks for the info (y)

Last edited:

NPT90

I saw this but it obviously doesn't address things like engine mounts or cooling system. Neither of which are insurmountable but obviously for a DIY require additional leg work which is just time on time in most cases. Also engine pictured is on a LHD truck, not sure what the RHD configuration looks like.

Its not really a comparison IMO (which is mine remember). You have a 161HP cummins 4cyl vs a 200HP high revving 6cyl capable of well over 250 with mechanical modifications and parts availability.

The purpose of this thread was always to educate on other possible driveline swaps vs tout the advantages of other options.

Last edited:

NPT90

That video is impressive but seems like that 90 is ending up being more of a street machine (visually plus the crossover pipe hanging pretty low and in the middle of the frame). Nothing wrong with that especially with how fun it looks like he has driving it.

The vehicle pictured in the video is a TDCI swap with a MT-82 behind it. I would guess that the reason that pipe is so low is due to some clearance issues involved with changing the exit side on the exhaust. Just threw it in there for sound as the DPUK folks posted a video of a converted 90 already which is closer to the kit posted here

NPT90

Its not really a comparison IMO (which is mine remember). You have a 161HP cummins 4cyl vs a 200HP high revving 6cyl capable of well over 250 with mechanical modifications and parts availability.
Not that it matters but altering the 2.8ISF voids your warranty and most articles I have read advise against huge power on these engines (estimates conclude any more than 200Bhp would be a detriment and common rail doesn't allow for the type of fueling upgrades associated with mechanical diesels).

Again these aren't comparable power plants really, its like comparing a TDCI 2.4 to a 6bt. The 2.4 TDCI can put out 210 Hp with some serious tuning. However that 6bt will throw 350HP with a few hand tools and an afternoon (and a ton of coal mind you).

I did this write up just to include a small displacement 6cyl diesel in the mix. If someone bought the trans adapter (OM606 to R380) for $1000, the rear sump kit for another $700, a mechanical IP from DPUK for $1200 and an OM606 engine (for example this complete car for $3900) and a R380 ($1500) they would have a mechanical setup close to the quickdraw kit ($8300 vs $7800). The difference being the OM606 kit puts out 275BHP vs 161HP.

Its just food for thought and I am hopeful it inspires creativity. Isn't that why we are all here?

donb

Not that it matters but altering the 2.8ISF voids your warranty and most articles I have read advise against huge power on these engines (estimates conclude any more than 200Bhp would be a detriment and common rail doesn't allow for the type of fueling upgrades associated with mechanical diesels).

Again these aren't comparable power plants really, its like comparing a TDCI 2.4 to a 6bt. The 2.4 TDCI can put out 210 Hp with some serious tuning. However that 6bt will throw 350HP with a few hand tools and an afternoon (and a ton of coal mind you).

I did this write up just to include a small displacement 6cyl diesel in the mix. If someone bought the trans adapter (OM606 to R380) for $1000, the rear sump kit for another $700, a mechanical IP from DPUK for $1200 and an OM606 engine (for example this complete car for $3900) and a R380 ($1500) they would have a mechanical setup close to the quickdraw kit ($8300 vs $7800). The difference being the OM606 kit puts out 275BHP vs 161HP.

Its just food for thought and I am hopeful it inspires creativity. Isn't that why we are all here?

The point you make about a higher power mechanical diesel powerplant is a very strong one. One thing that I don't like about the R2.8 is the ECU and wiring. If I go that direction it is something I'm sure I'll be able to live with but part of me loves the idea of a mechanical diesel engine in a Defender. I know you can get that with a 4BDT or 6BT as well but one thing that makes the OM606 better is the higher HP level and smoother operation. Another big plus for the Diesel Pump kit is, a person could piece meal it together and not have to lay down $8k at once. And a Holset turbo makes the right sounds on an OM606 too :D

I love the OM606 discussion. The R2.8 seems to check off a lot of boxes but with the options that DieselPump UK has the OM606 is a very strong mechanical diesel option.