High revs on idle

twozzie

I have a new to me 97 NAS D90 V8 4L and it runs well but the revs are high. On start up it sits at 1100 RPM and never really gets below this unless a load is put when shifting to Drive. When I shift back into Park or Neutral, it revs high again. In fact in D, it actually propels itself - yikes.
Its going to the mechanic to have a few oil leaks plugged and to have the high revving looked at, so I dont appear to be a complete numpty (too late) what could cause the revving?

Red90

Various things. Check that the throttle cable has some free play. Then download a workshop manual and read it.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Vaccum leak, icv, or the throttle position switch.
Gad one that had to be plugged into a test book to be reset

LQNAS

I have the same issue on my 97 NAS D90. Did you sort it out? Please share if you did. Thank you

twozzie

I have the same issue on my 97 NAS D90. Did you sort it out? Please share if you did. Thank you

It was a mismash of items. PO had tried to fix something and unplugged some vaccum hoses, by passed, connections and even plugged inlets with screws etc.
Took my mechanic about 4 weeks to resolve, basically replaced all hoses and cables, new fuel pump too, set everything to LR spec. It now idles at 850rpm hot or cold, starts first turn of key and is now passed CA smog.