new blog site up ; Defender featured

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Well, I am making mine to be a daily driver. As of now, I'm driving a soft top '65 with original engine and transmission as my daily driver, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade!

DiscoDavis

I think you undervalue the bulkhead vents, but this is contingent on a good supply of cold drinks to offset high ambient air temps, and weather appropriate clothing. Reliability between the mechanical diesel models and EFI V8's is something to talk about just by itself... bit of a blanket statement to say unreliable. The ROW diesels are much simpler. And they are no more expensive to service than say an L319/L320/L322 etc.

All in all it was a fun read. Great quote at the end.

signalMTB

Love it if you guys would register and comment on the site. I like the idea of covering just the differences in ROW vs NAS. I'll put that in the queue. Yeah the ratings are tough because I want to include benchmarks. That is, an A in maintenance is a new Honda. An F is a Ferrari 348. But for now, just trying to qualify them best I can.

signalMTB

Well, I am making mine to be a daily driver. As of now, I'm driving a soft top '65 with original engine and transmission as my daily driver, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade!

nice, if you have any high quality pictures (with no distracting backgrounds) etc send us an email support@seconddaily.com with the pics and info and we'll run a feature on it.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
How about returning the favor with a post about NAS-ROW? We could always use the publicity since we don't advertise. The only ad-free Defender site out there!

aeo

I've had a Defender as a DD for almost 18 years. I just recently said even with all their oil leaking, coolant dumping, exhaust spewing messes the Defenders haven't left us on the side of the road as many times as our Discovery did.

signalMTB

How about returning the favor with a post about NAS-ROW? We could always use the publicity since we don't advertise. The only ad-free Defender site out there!

most certainly! If you want to email anything particular to tagline that would be great (support@seconddaily.com)...add in anything that youd want to be sure we covered about the site. Good resource for Defenders and RRC in one place, community knowledge of ROW and NAS and the subtle diffs, etc. Whatever you guys would want to see, post it up here or better is to email us because we check that hourly.

signalMTB

I've had a Defender as a DD for almost 18 years. I just recently said even with all their oil leaking, coolant dumping, exhaust spewing messes the Defenders haven't left us on the side of the road as many times as our Discovery did.

love it, email us some cool pics and we can include it.

maybe something forming here is, an "interview" of sorts of the NAS-ROW community and their trucks. Part of that would be an intro for the website, what it is, it's mission, why people should come here, etc. THen go into highlighting some good member comments, pics, etc.

in summary, email us (support@seconddaily.com) with what you want to include about your rig and pics. ANd then someone from Admin hit us with some good verbiage to be sure we don't miss your statement.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
love it, email us some cool pics and we can include it.

maybe something forming here is, an "interview" of sorts of the NAS-ROW community and their trucks. Part of that would be an intro for the website, what it is, it's mission, why people should come here, etc. THen go into highlighting some good member comments, pics, etc.

in summary, email us (support@seconddaily.com) with what you want to include about your rig and pics. And then someone from Admin hit us with some good verbiage to be sure we don't miss your statement.

Happy to talk to you.

NAS-ROW is a Defender board with a strong technical focus. We try to differentiate ourselves from the others by the quality of technical advice and by keeping technical threads on-topic. Though we don't prohibit it, you'll tend to find less political and off-topic chit-chat than you will on other boards.

We're also the only Land Rover board with LS and Cummins conversion-specific forums; many of the most knowledgeable drivetrain conversion folks are active here and many of their innovations and discoveries are discussed here first.

Finally, we're the only Defender board with no internet ads. You don't need to use an ad-blocker to participate here and we will never sell your personal information. NAS-ROW isn't one of dozens of automotive forums owned by a big marketing company--we're just two long-time Defender enthusiasts (Chris and Dave) who missed the old days when forums weren't seen as a money-making venture.

signalMTB

Happy to talk to you.

NAS-ROW is a Defender board with a strong technical focus. We try to differentiate ourselves from the others by the quality of technical advice and by keeping technical threads on-topic. Though we don't prohibit it, you'll tend to find less political and off-topic chit-chat than you will on other boards.

We're also the only Land Rover board with LS and Cummins conversion-specific forums; many of the most knowledgeable drivetrain conversion folks are active here and many of their innovations and discoveries are discussed here first.

Finally, we're the only Defender board with no internet ads. You don't need to use an ad-blocker to participate here and we will never sell your personal information. NAS-ROW isn't one of dozens of automotive forums owned by a big marketing company--we're just two long-time Defender enthusiasts (Chris and Dave) who missed the old days when forums weren't seen as a money-making venture.

got it, thanks Chris...this is great. If anyone wants to and has good non-distracting high res (iphone is fine) pics they'd like to share, please send them to us (support@seconddaily.com). Especially if you have an LS or Cummins conversion to share, and any ROW trucks parked next to NAS trucks. That would help focus one story just on NAS-ROW and not get into other forums out there (not saying they're not good, simply saying maybe the angle here is to just do a feature on NAS-ROW only, why it's cool like you point out above, and then highlight some of those trucks).

If email is better for all of this rather than forum chatter, no worries just blow us up that way. Thanks guys!

signalMTB

Hey guys, circling back. The NAS-ROW discussion is being planned for next week. Would really love (and need) some great photos of your rigs, high res, cool shots, etc. Check out our website (www.seconddaily.com) to get a feel for what we do. We covered the Defender a few weeks ago, the Santana vs Land Rover, today is Dutch Safari, the RRC tomorrow and a few others planned for later. Want to get to the Disco soon.

Also, check out today's post on Dutch Safari, we mention NAS-ROW there.

Finally, we will be a full online curated auction site for classic/vintage/enthusiast cars in about 8 weeks. So we'll also be looking for cars for submission...please register on the site and send us an email if you are interested in listing your car for sale. A formal submission process will be up soon, so just getting the word out now. Spread it around, this will be a site where readers will comment directly with the seller, no ebay pulling auction stuff or sniping. Highly personal and enthusiast driven.

signalMTB

going live tomorrow with a NAS-ROW plug, any final words or pictures of Defenders you want to share? Let me rephrase that...we could really really use some great high quality cool Defender shots.

Tbaumer

Technical Excellence Contributor
Just read your article. Good information for someone who is not already familiar with the history.
A couple years ago I would have soaked in the details, but now I'm an expert on all things Defender :) !
I may be wrong in this, but the lack of response might be because it is a thumbnail of information already available & discussed on the forums.
Nicely written.

uc4me

Just read your article. Good information for someone who is not already familiar with the history.
A couple years ago I would have soaked in the details, but now I'm an expert on all things Defender :) !...

I couldn't agree more. We're somewhat obsessed in one capacity or another. I did enjoy this write up as well as the first piece on the Defender..and also the Toyota FJ60/62 article as i own one of those. Fun read and appeals to a wider base which is what i think you would want.. glad to see anything Defender/FJ60/62 in print!

signalMTB

hey thanks fellas...and yes, for the Defender enthusiasts and (most) guys/gals on this forum, the knowledge is at a level beyond 99.9% of the world. Our site is to appeal to a wide(r) audience as uc4me points out. Our goal is to do a couple of things...1) build the best online collector/enthusiast auction site out there by bringing really cool cars/trucks to the public for consumption on the best platform and addressing some big pitfalls that others out there currently have, and 2.) present the cars/trucks such that newbies can learn/jump into the market with the experts commenting/helping.

Think about when you first buying, navigating all the forums and trying to make sense of it all. No one outside of these tight groups know that a Defender wasn't a Defender until 1991, and that the tdi 200 is now legal but the 300 isn't except for off-road use, that the 95 RRC is the only year of the soft dash...you get the point. We want to bring all the knowledge into one place, and summarize it very well for potential buyers. Lots of people WANT a cool niche car, but are afraid of all the unknowns.

Totally appreciate you guys support...the online auction launches mid-September'ish. If you have something you want to submit, let me know. Submission form will be up soon, developer is hot on it this week and next.