Tithonus Horn

uc4me

Ok, so i'm little embarrassed here to ask but my Horn doesn't work. Every time i put a 20A fuse in it blows immediately. The 20A fuse also controls a few other things and the icons from what i can tell are for the interior light, 'M' light (map?) and F lamp (flash?) and aux. And yes, my hi-beam flash, little map light inside on dash doesn't work either.

Question: There are two wires available with female ends and only one is attached to the horn. Is the other wire for an additional horn or is it a ground wire ?

Thanks in advance!

Jrose609

Ok, so i'm little embarrassed here to ask but my Horn doesn't work. Every time i put a 20A fuse in it blows immediately. The 20A fuse also controls a few other things and the icons from what i can tell are for the interior light, 'M' light (map?) and F lamp (flash?) and aux. And yes, my hi-beam flash, little map light inside on dash doesn't work either.

Question: There are two wires available with female ends and only one is attached to the horn. Is the other wire for an additional horn or is it a ground wire ?

Thanks in advance!
the wire going to the horn should be a purple/black

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I have this same problem on my horn. I don't know what's the deal with the loose wire. I assume it's ground because the horn sounds like a half-dead donkey and it's probably getting its ground through the frame. I need to get out the Powerprobe and test it. I feel like a terminal tab might have broken off the horn but I don't see anything obvious.

I should probably just buy a new Hella horn and wire it up.

uc4me

Thanks guys. I'll think i'll go with new horns either way (although i feel the fuse problem may be elsewhere, either in another switch off that fuse or somewhere in line.

Regardless i think I'll put those Hella Yellow Sharp Tones in. A little deeper than the Red ones from what i read and anythings better than a half-dead donkey! I read they pull a lot more wattage and therefore i should hook directly to battery and use a larger gauge wire.

http://tinyurl.com/kjo4lbc

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
This is easy to test. Put a (+) multimeter probe on the connected spade connector (after pulling it off the horn) and the (-) on a ground/truck body/frame/etc. Check for 12V when the horn is honked.

You can do the same thing at the fuse.

nas90tdi

I don't know what it is because I am lazy, but the extra wire at the horn location is common on the MOD trucks, I have found a few mentions of it on line. I initially though the same ,that a tab had broken off my horn, but it doesn't appear the be the case.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
There's no doubt that the PIAA is loud, but it sounds very much like an American car horn for me. I wonder what the modern Jaguars use...