Considering Tire Carrier

FlyersFan76

I recently bought Wolf rims and my truck had/has the spare mounted on the hood. It was a usable spare but does not match the other 4 tires.

Probably not a good idea to mount a wolf rim on the hood so I have been looking at a couple tire carriers.

I think this is my next product that I am going to buy. Uninstalled parts for my truck are piling up but the Nakatanenga tire carrier is nice. I have only seen pictures and read various reviews but it is really nice.

I have one issue that I may have figured out by myself already but I figured I would ask the group.

I have a custom 110 soft top. The rear door is just a standard wagon door cut down. I am pretty sure that I will not be installing drop down tail gate in the future. Which carrier should I choose.

Standard of Pick Up version.

https://www.seriesdefender.com/exterior/spare-tire-carrier.html

Reserveradtr%C3%A4ger-Softtop-8-kl-388x564.jpg

btw, being that my truck is the way it is is another reason that I am probably going with this tire carrier. The soft top is in the way where other carriers seem to mount on the upper body.

Are group buys an option?

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20170223_213527.jpg
    IMG_20170223_213527.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 247
  • reserveradtr-ger-ii-schwarz-1-wz.jpg
    reserveradtr-ger-ii-schwarz-1-wz.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 332

LR Max

I got a Mantec. Its pretty good. I like that though. No drilling through the body work.

One thing about the mantec, it does kinda rattle apart from time to time. So you spend an afternoon, tear it apart, new grease, and re-tighten everything. But one thing I like about this is that the link to the door allows the carrier to move vertically. In the mantec, if it moves, it moves the door...and then the door won't latch. This is extremely annoying.

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
Mantec. Modify your soft top if needed. Any auto or boat upholstery place should be able to do it.

aeo

I have a Mantec and the plate that mounts to the door cracked. It rattled and squeaked from day 1.

I'd love to hear more feedback from folks that have the Nakatanenga. I'm leaning towards a carrier that opens independently of the door.

AdamSanta85

I have a Mantec and the plate that mounts to the door cracked. It rattled and squeaked from day 1.

Someone didn't install it correctly or you received a defect unit which should have been warrantied. Mine is silent.

CDN38

I have put one of these on each Land Rover I've owned over the years. I think it is the best model out there and it is seriously well engineered. Much more robust than the Mantec and it has the highlift jack mount integral with it.

http://www.extreme4x4.co.uk/acatalog/REAR_WHEEL_CARRIERS.html

If you fit the Extreme , it will not work on a NAS truck. If you have the earlier square lights, they will be in the way of the carrier. I like the hi lift jack mount.

I still think the Nakatanenga is the best one on the market these days. You can't beat stainless steel, and no drilling required to install. Rock solid.

Toyrover

I am shopping for a rear carrier as well, but for 110 station wagon. I noticed front runner makes a swing out carrier as well. Has anyone seen one in person. I love there rack that I have. Does anybody have the bearmach one? Is it similar to the mantec in quality? If you do get the Nakatanenga, post up some pics of it installed. I definitely looks pretty awesome.

CDN38

Installation is dead simple. Build quality amazing. No rattle, no vibration, fit's perfect with a NAS bumper.

Email Peter at Nakatanenga regarding fitting for a NAS soft top. Not sure if the pick up tailgate model wold work or not.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 254

FlyersFan76

I just ordered one. Not sure how long it will take to get but excited to try it out.

Ultimately I went with the standard configured one.

My projects are piling up. :)

CDN38

If you ordered directly from Peter at Nakatanenga, you should have it in about 3 or 4 days.

Mdubs

Looking at this Nakatenenga tire mount, it looks like it would work with my drop down tailgate. Anyone have this set up?