Slickshift for Defender

nas90tdi

I have had one on both an LT77 and currently on my R380. Definitely cleans up the shifting and makes the throw quite a bit shorter. I would bet it would solve your issue. It actually took me by surprise how much it shortens the throw. Takes a few days to get used to. Also, I bought an entire new shift turret when I bought mine. They are only like 35 GBP and I figured all new parts would take the worn turret out of the equation.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Had looked at these, but was afraid of the plastic insert that I thought would wear out and worsen the slop.

Ended up removing the knob and rubber cover, heating about 1" of the rod red hot near the bottom with an acetylene torch and bending it exactly where I wanted it.

Solved the clearance issue, but didn't do a thing for the sloppy shifting because there is no gate.

You can also remove the shifter hold down nut and washer and re-position the shifter as well.

geatlander

Thanks for that! I have my R380 out right now. I am planning a full bearing/balk ring/oil pump and seal refresh. In my quest for parts I ran across the Slickshift. I think now, after hearing that you liked it, I'll add that to my UK parts box. My turret seems to be in good shape. I don't think it is contributing to slop in the shifter (at least not much), but I'll check it again really well.

geatlander

Had looked at these, but was afraid of the plastic insert that I thought would wear out and worsen the slop.

Ended up removing the knob and rubber cover, heating about 1" of the rod red hot near the bottom with an acetylene torch and bending it exactly where I wanted it.

Solved the clearance issue, but didn't do a thing for the sloppy shifting because there is no gate.

You can also remove the shifter hold down nut and washer and re-position the shifter as well.
I did adjust the shifter position (or try to) some time ago, but I'd really like to reduce the long throw.

4RF RDS

Put one into my LT77 a few years ago and it is FANTASTIC. To paraphrase Yoda, there is no think only do!! Or as Nike would say, just do it. Well worth the coin. My shifter also occassionally bumps my AC plenum as well and I will be putting one into my new 110 shortly.

nas90tdi

It will work with the factory nylon insert as well. Plus, the new version doesn't do that stupid double stack on the plates the original one did. They made one plate the correct thickness. It's actually a pretty well made piece of kit.

Attachments

• 2016-11-17 14.55.24.jpg
    2016-11-17 14.55.24.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 293

LR Max

I installed one on my series 3 109. Feels A LOT better. However I really haven't put any miles on it yet. That'll be changing soon as I have a number of trips planned.

I'm not familiar with the defender shifters, but for the series, it is a huge improvement. Feels a lot better, tighter, and shorter throw. A big upgrade for a series rover.