Battery vs. alternator

Smob

My massive marine battery in my 90 I got a few years back either died or the alternator stopped working - can some give me a few dingbat steps to check to see which one it is? And sadly no, I have never had this problem before, I just replaced the alternator a couple years ago to avoid this exact situation. Thanks.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Jump it and get it started. Test for 13+ volts at the alt output stud and batt positive.

If it's less than that prob alt.

Jeff B

If it is your alternator, I saw recently that Will Tillery has been parting out some Rovers, mostly D1s/GEMS I think.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Once you've figured this out, take a look at the proper way to charge marine deep cycle batteries. I use them too, but I think we are killing them by using them in a car (as a primary).

The start sequence is hard on them. It takes a while to take its toll, but it is hard on them. Also, they have a particular way of being charged that they like, and our alternators are no where near smart enough to charge them properly.

I started suspecting this a year or two ago. But then I got a dedicated smart charger for deep cycle batteries and was surprised to see that although I was daily driving the car, the battery was often only at 50-70%. I'd then charge it overnight with the smart charger, and it would stay at about 98-100% for a few days, but then start loosing its capacity. This is not bad for the battery when it is used slowly, but the shock of starting, then having a 'bad' charge after, actually drains the battery in quick spurts that are never fully fixed by an alternator. This has the effect of ruining the battery over the course of a year or so.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, but I've had issues in several of my Rovers that I've tried to read about and come to some consensus on.

RDavisinVA

Is your smart charger one that will take input from solar panels and the car alternator?

I specifically bought audio batteries that are made to take a sharp drain (like when the woofers chime in and draw most of the power).
They don't mind voltage drops and quick recharges.
Have had them for about a year and a half, but they are completely separated from the "automotive battery".
You can switch the alternator output to charge the car battery or charge the auxiliary deep cycle batteries.
The alternator current flows through a 200 AMP relay to whichever battery is selected.
In that way you can run the deep cycle batteries nearly all the way down and start on the car battery, the after it has charged, flip the switch and direct the alternator current to charge the auxiliary deep cycle batteries.
I haven't hooked up a smart charger yet, but have one.
This is the setup we will us on our Dormobile.

Finally got a smooth roof without alpine windows from UD.
Traded him a nice smooth roof with alpine windows.
Clearly he got the better deal.

Smob

Once you've figured this out, take a look at the proper way to charge marine deep cycle batteries. I use them too, but I think we are killing them by using them in a car (as a primary).

The start sequence is hard on them. It takes a while to take its toll, but it is hard on them. Also, they have a particular way of being charged that they like, and our alternators are no where near smart enough to charge them properly.

You know, I've heard that elsewhere, too.. It's been a couple years but the charge has always been kinda crappy. Might just go out and get another battery anyway as a backup.

Got Coffee ?

I recently had a battery load tested and charged for free overnight at one of the chain car parts stores. Not sure if they can do the marine deep cycle, but might be worth a call.

Napalm00

I was similarly concerned that my alternator charging would destroy my Marine deep cycle battery. My DieHard Platinum Marine has been going now for 9 years with no issues.

Such a bummer they don't make it anymore. When it's replaced it'll be replaced with an odyssey at three times the price unfortunately

MountainD

I do know that AGM batteries want to different type of battery charger. The typical big magnetic ones can destroy AGM's--talk to Odyssey about that. I now use a CTEK charger for both my charging and trickle charging They also have recondition setting that I have brought back to life an older Odyssey 2150 battery that is now in my garage for playing with and jumping if I need it.

As for "marine" batteries, there are several types and each has their own requirements. Most people have no clue, but they typically "like" their own voltages when comparing Wet, AGM, and GEL types. Check out Westmarine, they have a good write up: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-Battery-Charger

mitherial

Very basic battery question: what terminal size do I want for a 1989 D90? SAE or 3/8"?

I am inclined towards the flagship Odyssey PC2150 series:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/pc2150_series.htm

My diesel turbo truck takes quite a bit of cranking at the moment to get it going, and it won't start at all below 50 degrees. The root cause is probably loss of compression somewhere, but I'm fixing the easy things first (e.g glow plugs, batteries).

Napalm00

I just had to end up replacing my nearly decade-old Sears Platinum DieHard battery. I was going to buy this exact Odyssey Battery actually the marine version with the Dual studs but almost $400 price tag turned me off. I ended up buying the Duracell Platinum Marine instead for half the price with nearly the same exact rating and the same warranty length

To answer your question ,you need the sae stud version.

Also a brand new battery is not going to change how your truck runs or starts. It'll allow it to start easier if everything is functioning but a $39 Walmart battery will do the same job. Replacing battery is not part of a tune-up.

Sounds like you have a glow plug and fuel issue to me.