Defender Air Conditioner Upgrade

The Dro

Illustrious
Forget about the expensive setups... This is the way to go. :D

Attachments

• land-rover-military-110-defender-off-road-vehicle-air-conditioner-F3JGK4.jpg
    land-rover-military-110-defender-off-road-vehicle-air-conditioner-F3JGK4.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 455

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
2 years ago for fun, mounted 2 alternators to the Isuzu 2.8 TD wired to 2 GMT audio batteries (meant to be used with woofers so they were OK with a high power draw - like an AC compressor starting up).
The batteries were wired to a 120V inverter.
Then strapped a 120V portable AC unit to the rear of the 110 2 door bulkhead with the vents facing forward between the driver and passanger.
Since the windows were held in by a rubber gasket, got a piece of plexiglass made in the shape of the small corner window and installed a dryer vent.
Ran the exhaust from the portable AC to the dryer vent.
As long as the vehicle didn't idle more than 15 minutes, the inverter worked and had cold AC.
This was just a fun experiment in 12V power production and inverting to 120V.
Lots of practical lessons were learned as a result.
People came from far and wide at Uwharrie to take pictures of this working redneck AC.
Removed the AC and inverter after the weekend.

66rover99

Alternatives to factory or RN/Cool Logan AC

Seriously though, it's getting warm again, so maybe time to ressurect this thread.

I read somewhere on one of the forums and can no longer find it, about a guy trying to use the existing heater plenum and vents for AC and replace the existing heater with an AC/heater unit from one of the classic car vendors. Started looking into in myself too, and found this one from Old Air Products:

f85f61f7-6ffd-4103-870e-9491bc9ccc2a.jpg

My thought was to make a new airbox for this unit to go into, replacing the heater entirely and ducting the outlets to the existing hole in the firewall (maybe bigger hole?), then use aircraft-style swivel vents at 4 locations along the heater plenum to deliver the cold air to the passenger compartment, kind of like these:

05-00779.jpg

Lots of used vents on eBay, and air could (would) also come out the floor and defrost vents if desired.

Any reasons why this wouldn't work? Suggestions? Alternative ideas?

cheers, Dave

66rover99

Yes, I thought about sacrificing the center cubby cuz it generally just accumulates sh!t anyway.

Any examples of someone actually doing this? I was a little concerned about the long runs of the hoses under the cab, and also how to set up the vents on the cubby so they actually blow on you?

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Line length can matter if the oil gets trapped in a unit and can't get back to the compressor.
Ford had these issues that had front and rear AC units.
They made system modifications to prevent the oil from being trapped in the rear evaporator unit.
I think this only happened with units that were mounted down low in the vehicle where the rear evaporator was much lower than the compressor.

66rover99

No thoughts on replacing the existing heater unit? If I could fit it there I think it would be a much cleaner installation...

Maine57S1

I have a vintage air combo a/c and heat unit. pretty small foot print. I pulled it out of an XKE and it would blow ice cold. $150 plus shipping if anyone wants it. No compressor or hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_1742569.jpg
    IMG_20180422_1742569.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 286

stancey

For my 130, I plan on removing the existing heater and installing an old air products hurricane system. I'm converting from rhd to lhd and I found a lower plenum local, that I will manipulate to install the ductwork inside. Haven't figured out logistics yet, but I'd like to have some ductwork going to rear also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

66rover99

Installing ductwork inside the plenum. Do you think that will make it more efficient than just dumping the air directly into the plenum itself and using it as the duct?

The diagram I posted a few posts back is for the hurricane system, but I purchased the used VintageAir system from Maine57S1 so if that fits it looks like I'll take the vintage air route rather than the old air route.

Last edited:

stancey

The reason I wanted to have the ductwork inside the plenum is to to be able to manipulate how the air will hit you. Basically trying to get it to hit you in the face instead of the legs. Getting the air to the back will require some creativity. Dbd...

66rover99

Yes, I was hoping the Aircraft Spruce eyeball vents (or similar) would do that. I don't mind cold feet, but would rather have it hit the mid-section.

stancey

My plenum had some rust issues, so I don't mind carving it up. I don't see why I can't mount the vents in that. For the rear, I'm thinking of making a Chase next to transfer case going to the rear passengers. Maybe coming up under the console and vents out the rear of it

66rover99

Due to circumstances beyond either of our control, I won't be going with the Vintage Air. I'm back to the Old Air setup as my prime candidate.

I have ordered the Hurricane mockup case to see if I can actually get it to fit. Will let you know as it progresses.

Last edited:

stancey

Due to circumstances beyond either of our control, I won't be going with the Vintage Air. I'm back to the Old Air setup as my prime candidate.

I have ordered the Hurricane mockup case to see if I can actually get it to fit. Will let you know as it progresses.
I would be up for buying the mockup from you when you are done to do mine. No rush. I can't ship my 130 until December..