How fast, really,

Red90

There is always water in the exhaust..... Water is the product of combustion. You can tell if it is diesel or coolant by the smell.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
OK, so this is after I had advanced the timing at the pump, it used to be a real smoke screen if I allowed it to be. So since I have advanced the pump timing, and it has cut the smoke from bad to this, this is the new, and OK normal. As long as it isn't coolant, which I doubt that it is, since I do have a known coolant leak, and still have not had to top off coolant for over 1000 miles. I'm not sure what to smell for, I'm not used to diesel enough yet.

Thanks for looking. I'll try the mirror trick, and update.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I don’t think it’s coolant. Got nothing at all from the exhaust. I’ll try again when it is a true cold start, this was a few hours after I had started it this morning to do the video.

It still feels somehow risky to be driving it, but I’ve done 5k in a year, and although I’m frustrated with the noise, and low MPG, at least I think I did ‘fix’ this smoke issue.

It’s the little things.

I’m hesitant to bring it up, but since it was mentioned above; when I smell the exhaust, I get a cold charcoal fire smell. When I smell the coolant, I get tire store.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
No LS, only one I know of in the area, is a zero miles LS3 that was put into a RRC.

I hope you're right, summer's coming!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I've been driving it to work this week, and some last week, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, so that's a good thing. The other good thing is that I think the advance in the IP is correct, since there is just a tiny bit of smoke on start and cold idle, but I can't image it's anything bad. It's MUCH better than it used to be. The tweak didn't change anything else, so I must have done just enough, but not too much. If I find any reason to reset the timing on the pump, I'll take the steps to do so with a gauge.

However... My MPG was 17.8 for mixed driving this last fill-up. And although the pinging sound has not got worse, it is still there at idle, as soon as the engine gets a bit of heat. I'm not smart enough to figure out how it could be.... but it seemed to be worse when I had the valves tight, and now that I backed off, the engine is a bit louder all around, but the pinging knock is not so bad.

The thing that really bugs me while using it on a regular basis is that about 40% of the drives are absolutely butter smooth and quiet and powerful.... the other 60% feel louder than they should, more vibrations than there should be, etc... It's really annoying to have a 15 minute drive where you can talk to someone at a normal level, but on the way back the truck is so loud the passenger just wants out, and has to plug their ears.

To be honest, I really just want this done with. I have managed to get a few weekend drives in, but I bought this truck to do multiple night, overland trips; instead, it is pretty much the thing that is keeping me from doing what I bought it to do. So I'm taking it in to Ship's on Monday. Kind of feel like I'm giving up. I'm not sure how to proceed if I can't get some resolution.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Yes. I think it is a sign of whatever else is wrong. 21 is my best while on 75% highway for the tank.