Jalopnik - Nice Price Crack Pipe - 87 Rangie

rovercolorado

https://jalopnik.com/at-13-000-could-this-1987-range-rover-get-you-to-love-1825289343

This got me thinking about my Defender purchase 2 years ago.
We have a lot of people still bringing in trucks from overseas that do little to nothing to the trucks that are being imported. At least this group lists the issues that are known but we all know these are Land Rover's and not Toyota's.

I know many people buying Rovers understand that they will always need work and should plan accordingly, but not everyone understands the costs to ownership for the great beasts.

Should we as a group that loves Rover keep spending these fairly large amounts of money on rigs that need so much work?

Cost be damned and let the passion take over or should logic prevail?

DiscoDavis

If you mean buying a car because "Muh Classic Iconic Restoration Patina car" that happens to have a VM diesel in it with zero prior research, inspection process, or parts supply hoard ready, and expecting to not have a glowing credit card then the answer is no. Nobody should be doing that. And nobody here better do it and try to flip that BS.

People taking the time to read forums, get the manuals, drive others' cars, take a euro vacay to see/drive a few, or even just picking up a wrench and tinkering before pulling the trigger on a clean, good running ROW car; I have zero issues with.

rovercolorado

The repair list is VERY long and with such a rare model even the Jalop guys recognize it's a questionable proposition.

When selling my Defender I took many calls from guys who loved the idea of owning a Defender but didn't really understand what it would take to keep one running.
Hell, I even underestimated the purchase of my Defender and I've owned several older Rovers and knew it was going to take a lot of time and dollars to make it my dream truck.
The dealer of this truck has been featured on a few other websites and Petrolicious featuring some Santana's they where trying to sell at the time.

I guess someone has to keep these things running!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
To me, that Range Rover looks great! One like that deserves to be frozen in time for how it looks, but to have the mechanics worked out over the long run.

...that is, if you already have the Defender that you drive every day, and want a long term side project...

Price is a bit high, but if it does run and stop on a regular basis, and if it doesn't smell funny inside, it's probably not outlandish for what really is a collector's item.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Crappy , least supported lr diesel of all time in a useless 2 door suv package, what's not to love ?

Crack pipe

rovercolorado

...well, I have to agree on the diesel. Would have to just swap for another.

Makes my point why buy that truck when you could purchase any Rangie and put in a 200/300 Tdi? I know why people love 2 doors as it looks fantastic but to sell this one with what looks to be ZERO effort to service it like most people would expect for $13K is a real issue.

jimbobwae

I guess it makes sense to chum the waters especially now with the ECD $159,000 benchmark. Been over to visit the DutchSafari folks - nice group, very open about their operation and muddy green lemonade drinkers like the rest of us.