300tdi setting the timing and flywheel

Motorradmark

Callsign: KO4FIC
Am preparing to remove my FIP to install new seal. Have the special tools to lock the flywheel at tdc and secure the timing gear.

Having reviewed all the trailfitters videos with one question.
How do you advance the flywheel around to the notch with the engine installed. The vids all use a bench engine and use a screwdriver to rotate it around to the right notch. Does this work when it is on the truck.

Bottoms lie question, how do you move the flywheel around to engage the notch/tool that secures it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Socket on crank pulley bolt. You are only removing pump not replacing belt correct ? When you say secure timing gear guessing you mean the IP pulley ?

Motorradmark

Callsign: KO4FIC
Doug, correct. Removing the IP. I have the kit with the round plate that secures the pulley in place.
Crank turns clockwise, as facing the engine? Just slowly rotate it until it clicks into the notch. I understand there is only 1 notch on the flywheel .
If the IP is timed correctly, when the flywheel is pinned, the timing pin should go right in, correct?
Much thanks, Doug.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Doug, correct. Removing the IP. I have the kit with the round plate that secures the pulley in place.
Crank turns clockwise, as facing the engine?
Correct
Just slowly rotate it until it clicks into the notch. I understand there is only 1 notch on the flywheel .
There are 2 notches but only one is big enough for the locking pin to fit in.

If the IP is timed correctly, when the flywheel is pinned, the timing pin should go right in, correct?
Correct

AdamSanta85

Not always. On my truck (200TDI) with the injection pump timing set correctly (1.54mm lift), the timing pin (9.2mm) will not go in. It blocks almost half of the hole. When the pin was able to slide in and out the injection pump timing was retarded.

That being said when you get to that point it should be pretty clear what is happening.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
It's not uncommon for the pin to not fit right on in, as Adam says above. IME if it does your timing is usually off a bit but that was the factory's retarded timing, not correct timing. In your case you won't be able to put the pin in since you will be using the disc to lock the pulley and belt under tension. The injection pump has a key way on the shaft and as long as you have locked the crank- doesn't need to be tdc where the pin aligns- just needs to be locked so nothing moves while you wrestle the IP in and out. The pump will only fit up to the pulley when the key way is aligned so pretty hard to mess anything up as long as you have the crank locked and the disc properly snugged down.

aeo

Curious how often timing should be checked? Is it a service type of item or just symptomatic?

From my understanding retarded timing is decrease in power, quieter motor, less engine shake/vibration, and increase in black smoke. Am I correct on this?

Thanks,
Alex

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Land Rover Toolbox Videos on YouTube just released the entire set of videos dealing with the timing on the 300Tdi. Previously, you had to buy the DVD to see all the videos.

aeo

It can't really be this easy: pulled AC bracket to see IP pump, turned the fan with a wrench and got the engine to TDC- pin in timing kit engaged to check TDC. Put the timing pin from kit in IP, it looks like the pin goes halfway into the IP in the LR toolbox video. I did slacken the 3 bolts and turned the IP clockwise a bit and it made it easier to slide the timing pin in.

If all that is correct, how much should I be able to turn the larger IP bolt with the three bolts slacked and still get the timing pin in?

Also, how tight should the three bolts in the IP be tightened to and how tight should the AC pulley bolts be?

Thanks,
Alex

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
You should have to just tweak the IP bolt one way or the other. Don't forget if you are using a 2 foot long wrench a tweak may be an inch or two when measured at the end of the wrench.
With a torque wrench the three pulley bolts should be tightened to 25nm/19 foot pounds.