Non OEM oil filters?

1of40

We owned a Suburban for almost 15 years and over that time we put 270k Miles on the engine, again with only $19.99 tire shop oil changes every 3-5k Miles. I don’t expect to be surprised by the results of my next test I just want a marker on how often I should get in the habit of changing my oil cause the tire shop we’ve used for 18 years can’t change the LR4’s oil. I bought a siphon pump to pull the oil and taught my wife how to do it. Her quote, “doing it every 15k myself is a net time saver over going to a shop 3x more often with the Suburban”.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
We owned a Suburban for almost 15 years and over that time we put 270k Miles on the engine, again with only $19.99 tire shop oil changes every 3-5k Miles. I don?t expect to be surprised by the results of my next test I just want a marker on how often I should get in the habit of changing my oil cause the tire shop we?ve used for 18 years can?t change the LR4?s oil. I bought a siphon pump to pull the oil and taught my wife how to do it. Her quote, ?doing it every 15k myself is a net time saver over going to a shop 3x more often with the Suburban?.

You can drain the oil out of the bottom, there is a drain plug. You just need the correct wrench for the filter.

BarryO

Does it matter? Probably not.

'probably right, as long as it has an anti-drainback valve. Also, as long as it has the same volume as the OEM filtersI've seen some cheapo auto parts store filters that, while they may fit, are 2/3 - 1/2 the size of the OEM filter.

1of40

You can drain the oil out of the bottom, there is a drain plug. You just need the correct wrench for the filter.

I've told them but their data on the year/model says they can't do it. I'm glad bc paying them to do a syn oil change is a waste of time and money now that it can be done without getting dirty.

LR Max

I recently swapped air and cabin filters in my LR3. They had OEM (probably original from 2005) filters and I replaced with Mann+Hummell. Looked identical. I know most european manufacturers use M+H for their branded filters.

So I'm going with M+H for the LR3. Air and cabin M+H filters are cheap enough off rock auto. For oil, LRDirect had them for about $5 a piece. So whenever I order parts, I get one or two filters thrown in.

For the Series 3 109, I use a good purolator or whatever when I get a quart of oil.

Never use fram. Bad times.

Jeff B

It leaks at the valve covers enough to be messy but it's not leaving a mess on the garage floor.

Just so you know, valve cover gaskets are pretty easy on the D90 4.0.... Will Tillery probably has the kits in stock. But they're cheap enough everywhere.

And 15k mile oil changes scare me. I was told long ago that it was your people(accountants) that came up with that number to reduce the *cost of maintenance*. The engineers were probably eye-rolling....

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
Just so you know, valve cover gaskets are pretty easy on the D90 4.0.... Will Tillery probably has the kits in stock. But they're cheap enough everywhere.

Probably can just tighten the bolts. They are usually loose.

1of40

True, but his are original so they're 20 years old. That rubber is probably rock hard by now.

True. I've been patiently waiting for my HG to need replacing so I can do a whole top-end song and dance. I get about a dime size drip of oil every once-n-awhile so it doesn't bother me. I'm fast approaching 170K miles so it should be in the near future.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
In the weeks leading up to Spring Break, I literally had no time to change the oil on the Mercedes CDI, so on the night before leaving on a 3000 mile trip, I'm running around town looking for the right oil filter. One place in four had it. But it was a stupid Wix.... So I get it anyway, change the oil, put the filter (it's a cartridge) in, screw down the cap, and start the car to run and check -- by the time I walk 5 feet over to the garage door button, I've got 3 quarts of oil on the garage floor.

The Wix o-ring seal was just a tiny bit too large in diameter (you could really only tell if you looked at the two, one on top of the other.) and it instantly caused a blow-out and a giser of new oil was blowing out of the top of the engine, over the radiator, and onto the garage floor......

I had a Mann in their before, and that's what I had to pick up from the dealer the next day.