Puma Bulkhead swap too hot!

jackstraw

Thanks for the addition to your group!

I purchased a few years back a clean 1988 ROW 110 j19

I have since done many upgrades to include a 300 TDI and Puma bulkhead.

I need to qualify this by saying I have never worked on a car or truck before buying this defender.

The first thing I did on my own was the bulkhead swap.
Currently almost everything works except... No matter what position the temperature selector is in the air coming from the HVAC system blows hot.

The dampers for outside/inside air feel like they are working but the air still blows hot.

Any suggestions or explanations about how to get outside air temperature through the system.

Is it possible for the coolent connections to the heat exchanger to be directional? Would that even matter?

There is not exactly a template for a 300 TDI with a Puma Bulkhead.

Thanks so much in advance for your help and the following onslaught of sarcastic remarks! :D

4RF RDS

This video should help you out. You likey have the cable attachment not working correctly. Also in a 300 Tdi it really won’t matter what direction the hoses push coolant through the heater core. (If you have a Puma dash, and heater matrix etc, none of this is relevant).

https://youtu.be/0Ii7kw07oMU

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Not sure if this works for the setup you have, but I’m going to be addressing this issue by getting a standard Napa heater hose valve, and using a cable that will be controllable from under the dash.

No matter what I did when the V8 was in it, there was always warm air coming in through the heater coil, even with that flap working as designed.

Although I’m very unmotivated to do this since if it gets into the 30s, there is no way the heater gets hot enough anyway. Spring is the limbo time when I don’t need heat or air.

Roverman2010

We had this very conversation yesterday, should you really be putting a shut-off Vv between the rear head outlet on 2&3 hundy engines to the heater matrix in a system designed to be free flowing? Is the Puma engine cooling system design the same?

Does not the rear head outlet stop a hot spot on the head?

Personally I fit a by-pass hose from the rear of the head to the water Pp in the warmer months just to stop hot (warm) cooling water going into the heater matrix.

Was good to meet up with Eric the Red and the wife, nice 110.

Thanks,

jackstraw

I thought about this exact fix.. However I did find that the PUMA temp control has a cable that is attached on one end to the dial on the dash side but is loose on the engine side. I will need to find out where it is supposed to go..

Thanks

jackstraw

Plenum door in the heater box probably isnt hooked up

There are two cables that leave the bulkhead. One comes from the indoor outdoor/recirc lever The other comes from the temperature control knob. The indoor outdoor selector. is hooked up and seems to work fine. The other cable is loose and has no obvious place to end up. Should this be connected somewhere to the blower motor Assembly? Might it be connected to the blower motor assembly on the fender side of the blower motor. This would be tricky to get to. But it?s the only place that I really cannot see easily :confused: