Superwinch Husky Motor Replacement

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
Anyone have any experience with aftermarket winch motors? I have a 24V Superwinch Husky that I'd like to convert to 12V. I spoke to Superwinch today and they said all I need to do is replace the motor and solenoids. I figured it'd be a good excuse to upgrade to the Albrite solenoid. I see a lot of electric motors available online that will fit, but I'm just not sure on the quality. Superwinch doesn't sell the replacement motor anymore.

My other option is to buy a new winch, but if I can fix this for under $500, its probably worth it.

Ray_G

So I assume the Husky was different root manufacturer than the EP series but I had great customer service when I engaged ComeUp (who still makes the EP rebranded under their label) for a replacment motor. Cheaper than Summit's NOS vestiges, etc.

I have had mixed experience with the ebay straight up chinese warn replacements-wouldn't want to do that to a Husky.

Dude I engaged with was Rod, their shop manager: rod.bogle@comeupusa.com
r-
Ray

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
I actually just got rid of my Superwinch EPi after 10 years of service. That was a great winch.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
If you have a 12V Husky you want to trade, I'd happily do so!

I actually just sent a email to Goodwinch before I saw your post.

Roverman2010

Jimmy, the husky is going on the 101 which is 24v, but in the future it will be changed to 12v. My 70 dollar husky (thanks Ron) motor has a rotten tin cover and at sometime was dropped on the motor cracking (cleanly) the brush housing. I need a weld that up in time but still works a good one. Let me sleep on it.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Sounds good. If I end up swapping out this motor, I'll send you this one if you pay shipping.

Ray_G

Those bowmotor's look nice.

Concur on the EP series too, while I've always lusted after the Husky my EP lasted a long, long time (and with the new motor continues to serve).

Rwollschlager

Jimmy let me know what you find out from Goodwinch about a replacement. The 12v motor in my project husky is working for now, but if it gives up I could be in the same boat.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
If I ever have a problem with my superwinch, their CT factory is under a hour from where I live.
Address: 359 Lake Rd, Dayville, CT 06241
Phone: (860) 928-7787

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Just heard back from Goodwinch. They can supply a 12v Bowmotor and 12v Bowright solenoids for ?221 shipped. I might just get the solenoids in the US since they are readily available. I emailed them back to find out if I need the gasket and fluid with that.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Just to update, I installed a new Bowmotor from Goodwinch in the UK. I also used one of their Bowrite solenoids which appear to be the same as an Albrite solenoid. I was tensioning the rope in the shop and a couple people commented on how fast it was, which I found surprising since the Husky is known to be a slow winch. This motor is supposed to be more powerful than the orginal (5.6 HP). I'm going to Vermont this weekend, so hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out.