CB Radios?

Boswalt

Anyone using a CB? There are some areas near me that don?t get cell reception and people have used CB?s to call for assistance but I have no idea on how to select a good set that is low profile. Any help or advice?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
I used the same Cobra radio listed above till I got my ham license. I haven’t used it since. A tech license is super easy to get and a 2m Yaesu costs the same as that CB but you get a ton more range, clarity and utility out of it.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I tried the Cobra listed but just didn’t like it due to weight. Pia if you missed the mike holder....
The group I wheel with uses GMRS now better range than CB. I can’t recall who makes my CB Radio. It doesn’t get much use any more.

UnfrozenCaveman

I've got two ancient Uniden 510 sets that have been in use since the 90's

They're not perfect, but small enough to fit in the map pocket above a Disco sun visor.

...just my two cents.

Having said that, there's a Yaesu HF unit heading for the Defender this Spring.

Ray_G

As others have noted, CB is still in use but the tech has stagnated.

I prefer GMRS these days; well worth the $ for the lic that then allows you to grab one of the MXT series radios Midland has out now that increases power.

HAM is even more preferable, with a little more investment both in terms of time to get through the test and then learn the system. I also have that in my truck(s).
r-
Ray

LRNAD90

So 4+years later, is CB use on the Trail dead? Out West HAM seemed to be more prevalent years ago when I was on the trail regularly, but not so much in the east. Most Trail communications are pretty short range, maybe a mile or two max. Has the off-road community adopted FRS/GMRS to the point now that this is the preferred trail communications? In the end, doesn't matter how great your set-up is, if no one else around you is using it, it kind of defeats the purpose..

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
CB is definitely dead on the east coast areas I wheel in. GMRS is king. I keep meaning to remove the CB radio.

LRNAD90

My only real concern was having what most others are going to have when on the trail, otherwise no communication, no matter how good my set-up. So it sounds like GMRS is the new standard then?

LRNAD90

This thing looks beefy, thinking I could just replace the existing CB Antenna with this and use the same mount. Its not clear of the rear cage section though, so not clear how badly that will or will not affect performance..

Melowave Overlander GMRS Mobile Antenna

Attachments

• CB Mount 2.jpg
    CB Mount 2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 62

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
The GMRS antenna base hole is 3/4 of an inch. Those little stubby things rely on magnets to hold on. That’s a problem.

A permanently mounted antenna is a better solution. The antenna itself is very narrow and not a problem even if mounted on a Brush guard.

LRNAD90

"The GMRS antenna base hole is 3/4 of an inch. Those little stubby things rely on magnets to hold on. That’s a problem.

A permanently mounted antenna is a better solution."

All the Antenna's I am looking at are NMO base mounts, and I was going to bolt it on, not magnet mount..'

NMO Mount.png

"^^^One could replace the wing vent blank with one made of steel and stick a mag mount to it.^^^"

Yeah, I've seen photos of this done, but prefer to leave that open as a way to vent underhood heat in the summer months..

pmatusov

Technical Excellence Contributor
Callsign: AK6PM
CB is great. Repeater network aside, I could never get an answer from anyone why is VHF/FM better than CB. Even the sound quality is better from a factory speaker (not on the handheld job mentioned earlier).
That said, a $40 job from a truck stop store will perform accordingly; a SSB-enabled CB unit like a bigger Cobra or Uniden with a 4' Firestik will connect across hundred miles easily - let alone the skywave that can, in theory, propagate around the globe.

GMRS is rapidly shaping up like CB of 20 years ago. All channels busy, lots of interference, you name it. Try using GMRS close to any popular ski resort in winter.