LS into 1987 EXMOD 110

Factoid

The other factor with some of these engines is dod. Most turn it off or remove it entirely. That’s worth a few mpg on the highway. However, most of the LS Defender owners I’ve spoken to don’t spend as much time as I thought on the highway. Let’s just accept 12-13 mpg and that it has little bearing on the decision to go LS.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Just so you all feel better, I'm barely getting 19mpg with my 300Tdi over the past 3500 miles. But I barely get 12mpg on my RRC.

I say the more people doing the LS conversion, the better. In my mind, I have no problem with people doing this to their Rovers, but in my heart it feels dirty. It's too bad that the conversion seems to not get any better than 14-15mpg, but if it keeps your Rover on the road, and if it allows you to do things like tow and go fastish, then I'm all for it.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
That's why I encouraged people to buy old converted Range Rovers with 3.5 mazda sl35tis. I got 28 on the highway towing and 22 city driving with a 1.003 tcase ration in a 110.

Red90

Are you talking US gallons?

25 mpg (US gallons) average over the 5000 mile trip I just did in the 90 with a 200TDI.

Boswalt

This is an amazing forum! Got some huge help today sourcing motor mounts and exhaust manifolds. Having people pave the way makes it so much easier. Thanks.

Boswalt

Anyone need a 2.5na / LT77 / LT230?

Attachments

• 7ADE720D-6345-4B45-A4CE-8BECD759767D.jpg
    7ADE720D-6345-4B45-A4CE-8BECD759767D.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 336
  • F4B7797C-EA77-493B-90EB-FB6673F37FC7.jpg
    F4B7797C-EA77-493B-90EB-FB6673F37FC7.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 352
  • AACA22AB-B262-41A7-9350-358004339A50.jpg
    AACA22AB-B262-41A7-9350-358004339A50.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 360

Factoid

I sold mine for $1200 or as people on the other forum pointed out, I sold the tranny and transfer case and threw the engine in for free!

Actually, I put it on eBay with a starting bid of $500. At the time there was a completely rebuilt 19J on eBay for a $5k BIN!!! It got a dozen bids and the winner also wanted the radiator, air cleaner, engine mounts and any other component I could unbolt or cut off the frame. Here is the video I posted in the ad. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/bl-PX-gsQmA

The Dro

Illustrious
I sold mine for $1200 or as people on the other forum pointed out, I sold the tranny and transfer case and threw the engine in for free!

Actually, I put it on eBay with a starting bid of $500. At the time there was a completely rebuilt 19J on eBay for a $5k BIN!!! It got a dozen bids and the winner also wanted the radiator, air cleaner, engine mounts and any other component I could unbolt or cut off the frame. Here is the video I posted in the ad. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/bl-PX-gsQmA
Jesus... That's crazy. I cannot get rid of mine for $500 and has a brand new turbo.

Factoid

Let me help. The psychology of the human mind when it comes to acquiring things is based on getting a great deal and not getting taken. These two concepts are multipliers. The perception of a great deal is significantly heightened when there is a degree of confidence that there is no risk. Conversely, a deal that seems too good to be true because there must be a catch becomes unattractive due to the risk of the catch.

I’m just a hobbiest and most of what I sell is way under market or given away. Right now there is a 20 yard dumpster sitting in my driveway with a bunch of Series III and Defender take off along with similar Porsche parts sitting in it that are not worth the hassle, time, etc. for me to bother with.

Anyway, a couple of tips:

1. Find an ad on eBay that is similar to what you have to sell and is well done, but you know you can do better. Click on (sell one like this) and modify your ad as required.

2. Provide plenty of pictures, details, and specifics that set you apart from other ads, including some honest negatives (minor leaks, some smoke, etc).

3. Offer additional parts, services, etc. for no additional cost.

4. Set a beginning bid that is the minimum you would accept (as low as possible). If you try to give it away for free, you trigger skepticism in many people that there is a risk of getting taken.

The guy who bought my parts got a great deal and it was a win for both of us, but we’ve never met and therefore have no way of evaluating truthfulness other than my ad details and 100% eBay rating. My approach:

1. Copied another ad with a BIN of $5k.
2. Provided pictures and a start/run vehicle and was honest about minor oil leak and a puff of smoke on start up.
3. In my description I offered additional parts (radiator, air cleaner, engine mounts, etc with no indication they would cost more) and services (I will crate everything up for you to make it easy for your shipper to come pick it up)
4. I started at $500.

Best of luck! Oh, here’s my crated engine and parts:

Attachments

• 8F5DADE9-3475-4156-B71E-31FED3B06E75.jpg
    8F5DADE9-3475-4156-B71E-31FED3B06E75.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 305

Boswalt

Finished building the engine and getting the NV4500 rebuilt. Installed the power steering box and cut off the old mounts. Still working on the LT230, just got to get over whatever Ebola like illness my children brought home.

BTW - sold my 12j and lt77 locally for $1k. Going in a jeep!

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 300

Boswalt

Test fitting the engine this weekend. Everything is lining up well except the exhaust manifolds. I went with the hookers based on Nicks research but the drivers side exits directly into the clutch slave cylinder. Looking at trying an internal slave or custom manifolds depending on cost.

Attachments

• B5416AB2-B099-47CE-91B3-8129A1A8E2FA.jpg
    B5416AB2-B099-47CE-91B3-8129A1A8E2FA.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 314

Factoid

Yes, as Nicks kit is not designed for a manual shift. There are many other issues to overcome such as where the shifter lands in the tunnel or under the seat box, how you route the exhaust, finding an exhaust manifold for the left side of the engine that doesn’t impact the frame or steering or tranny or crossmember. Good luck, but recognize you are blazing a trail and will have to sort out many of these issues for your build yourself.

Boswalt

Not bashing on Nicks BOM at all, between that and Andy's posts my life is much easier, but you're right that there are hurdles. Nothing time and money won't fix though!

I need to have it sorted by march though..... got gatherings to drive to!

Factoid

Didn’t mean to send that message! More to caution that you will have some head scratchers that will require ingenuity and funds. However, the trail you blaze will benefit others so please continue to share and reach out for potential solutions. What I will say is be aware of both existing and future obstacles. For example, your exhaust routing has to accommodate those things you currently see like the frame, clutch linkage etc., but also the crossmember you will need to fabricate in the future. All resolvable, but I hate having to redo something I feel I’ve already addressed.

Red90

I would suspect many other non Rover people have put NV4500s behinds LS engines and have figured out the exhaust.