Front Main Seal 4.2

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I really need to change the main front seal behind the main pulley. I am not exaggerating when I say this truck probably leaks more than all of my other Rovers combined.

Technically, it should be an easy job, but I need to know if there's anything I should know before starting. The workshop manuals are usually good for figuring out what it is you are doing, but there's nothing like having done it before, or getting some tip from someone who has done it before.

I'm planning on removing the radiator, but if someone can give me some kind of good technique for doing it without having to go through with that... It would just be a lot easier.

OH+D

You do not have to remove the radiator. I use a compact 3/8 drive air impact gun with a shaved down 15/16 socket (height cut down so that the well is only as deep as the bolt head).

This fits between the crank pulley and radiator with room to spare.

You may find that the crank pulley seal surface has a groove worn in it, in which case a new seal may not last long. Possible fixes for this are a speedy sleeve or a replacement pulley.

Have a length of PVC pipe that will fit over the crank snout to tap the seal home ( I forget what the right diameter is).

It's a fast and easy job to do it in situ without removing the front cover. All you have to do is remove the fan and serp belt. If you want to re-seal the front cover at the same time it becomes more involved.

Adam

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Thanks,

I'm sure you'll hear from me again, when I get a hernia trying to get the fan clutch off....