NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > LS Engine Conversions

Old 12-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #31
Factoid

Let me help. The psychology of the human mind when it comes to acquiring things is based on getting a great deal and not getting taken. These two concepts are multipliers. The perception of a great deal is significantly heightened when there is a degree of confidence that there is no risk. Conversely, a deal that seems too good to be true because there must be a catch becomes unattractive due to the risk of the catch.

I’m just a hobbiest and most of what I sell is way under market or given away. Right now there is a 20 yard dumpster sitting in my driveway with a bunch of Series III and Defender take off along with similar Porsche parts sitting in it that are not worth the hassle, time, etc. for me to bother with.

Anyway, a couple of tips:

1. Find an ad on eBay that is similar to what you have to sell and is well done, but you know you can do better. Click on (sell one like this) and modify your ad as required.

2. Provide plenty of pictures, details, and specifics that set you apart from other ads, including some honest negatives (minor leaks, some smoke, etc).

3. Offer additional parts, services, etc. for no additional cost.

4. Set a beginning bid that is the minimum you would accept (as low as possible). If you try to give it away for free, you trigger skepticism in many people that there is a risk of getting taken.

The guy who bought my parts got a great deal and it was a win for both of us, but we’ve never met and therefore have no way of evaluating truthfulness other than my ad details and 100% eBay rating. My approach:

1. Copied another ad with a BIN of $5k.
2. Provided pictures and a start/run vehicle and was honest about minor oil leak and a puff of smoke on start up.
3. In my description I offered additional parts (radiator, air cleaner, engine mounts, etc with no indication they would cost more) and services (I will crate everything up for you to make it easy for your shipper to come pick it up)
4. I started at $500.

Best of luck! Oh, here’s my crated engine and parts:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F5DADE9-3475-4156-B71E-31FED3B06E75.jpg (387.9 KB, 55 views)
Factoid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Factoid For This Useful Post:
tommyd (12-21-2017)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #32
Boswalt

Member Trucks

Finished building the engine and getting the NV4500 rebuilt. Installed the power steering box and cut off the old mounts. Still working on the LT230, just got to get over whatever Ebola like illness my children brought home.

BTW - sold my 12j and lt77 locally for $1k. Going in a jeep!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0085.jpg (162.4 KB, 54 views)
Boswalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #33
Factoid

Well done on he engine sale!
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
Jeff B

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boswalt View Post

BTW - sold my 12j and lt77 locally for $1k. Going in a jeep!

hahahahahahahahahaha

https://www.seriesdefender.com/
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
Boswalt

Member Trucks

Test fitting the engine this weekend. Everything is lining up well except the exhaust manifolds. I went with the hookers based on Nicks research but the drivers side exits directly into the clutch slave cylinder. Looking at trying an internal slave or custom manifolds depending on cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5416AB2-B099-47CE-91B3-8129A1A8E2FA.jpg (304.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #36
Factoid

Yes, as Nicks kit is not designed for a manual shift. There are many other issues to overcome such as where the shifter lands in the tunnel or under the seat box, how you route the exhaust, finding an exhaust manifold for the left side of the engine that doesn’t impact the frame or steering or tranny or crossmember. Good luck, but recognize you are blazing a trail and will have to sort out many of these issues for your build yourself.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #37
Boswalt

Member Trucks

Not bashing on Nicks BOM at all, between that and Andy's posts my life is much easier, but you're right that there are hurdles. Nothing time and money won't fix though!

I need to have it sorted by march though..... got gatherings to drive to!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #38
Factoid

Didn’t mean to send that message! More to caution that you will have some head scratchers that will require ingenuity and funds. However, the trail you blaze will benefit others so please continue to share and reach out for potential solutions. What I will say is be aware of both existing and future obstacles. For example, your exhaust routing has to accommodate those things you currently see like the frame, clutch linkage etc., but also the crossmember you will need to fabricate in the future. All resolvable, but I hate having to redo something I feel I’ve already addressed.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #39
Napalm00
Shaft! (Can you dig it?)

Patriot makes a header set called: tight tuck. Maybe?
Napalm00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #40
Red90

I would suspect many other non Rover people have put NV4500s behinds LS engines and have figured out the exhaust.