The LS Engine Swap Section

Jeff B

I just saw on that other site that Nicholas Markiw has quit his day job to do LS/Rover stuff....

Will someone get him on this board?

nmarkiw

E-rod

Peter. E-Rod comes to mind.

Here is the scoop on the E-Rod. It's not legal in California in any Land Rover.
Here's why...

The LS3 E-rod (6.2L car engine) is restricted to 1995 and earlier vehicles and had a GVWR limitation of 5750 lbs. A D90 is 6100 GVWR. All other models are higher.

The LC9 E-rod (5.3L truck engine) has been discontinued. It had a GVWR max of 7500. Which would have been the only option for the 90/110.

The only option for California is the "engine change" as outlined by CARB (California Air Resource Board) using an LC9, LMG, L92, or L94.

Boswalt

Starting my conversion. Using Nick's adapter (which is a work of art) and an NV4500.

No idea what I'm doing so.....be patient.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 424

Factoid

I figured I should post this over here also.

Here’s a video from August of my 1988 90 with the 19J that I used to sell the engine on eBay:

https://youtu.be/bl-PX-gsQmA

And here’s a video I shot this morning with the 2012 Camaro L99/6L80 I’m just finishing up:

https://youtu.be/HBXRVxtdqUw

All I can say is wow! If you are on the fence, I hope this provides the motivation to move your ass!

Factoid

Can’t wait!

The wife was bugging me to get a haircut. I said not until I can drive the Defender to the barber shop. She is suddenly very helpful.

Factoid

I ordered my last bit, HD rear axles for the GBR truetrac on Wednesday and DHL delivered them today. Just got them installed, so first drive tomorrow. Very exciting.

Attachments

• 8A188116-00A8-455D-AEFA-0935F7E4D459.jpg
    8A188116-00A8-455D-AEFA-0935F7E4D459.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 303

Jeff B

I ordered my last bit, HD rear axles for the GBR truetrac on Wednesday and DHL delivered them today. Just got them installed, so first drive tomorrow. Very exciting.

Where'd you end up sourcing the axles? I saw on the other forum you were waiting and waiting....

Factoid

Ashcroft and I’m very happy (assuming I don’t snap them the first time I apply a little anger to the throttle).

Red90

Ashcroft and I?m very happy (assuming I don?t snap them the first time I apply a little anger to the throttle).

The weak point will be the ring and pinion unless you have a pinned, HD one. You won't break the half shafts.

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
I don't know the gearing but the stock 354's are pretty strong and stronger than the 411's and such. I think the CV's are the weakest link.

Red90

I don't know the gearing but the stock 354's are pretty strong and stronger than the 411's and such. I think the CV's are the weakest link.

We are only discussing the rear axle. With the chrome-moly halfshafts and the Truetrac, the Ring and Pinion will be the weakest part of the axle by a long margin. If you use a modern HD R&P and pin it, everything is close to the same strength and should be fine unless you run large tires and are abusive.