Best rear tire carrier?

Chefdaddyscoti

I have a 2 door hardtop 110. I need to add a rear tire carrier that moves with the door so anyone sitting in back can open the rear door to get out.
Suggestions ?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I'm told the owner/founder of Mantec died and his son is now running the co. Tried to get two of their carriers that are ever so slightly different for a half door. Ordered in November. After waiting 4 mos went with the regular sw carriers.

AdamSanta85

I have Mantec. I like it. Price was fair from LR Direct ($350 shipped LINK). Fit good, simple instructions, and looks tough.

I think some of the other ones look kinda dorky even though they have some advantages such as not having to drill.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I'm going to be installing my Mantec soon. The only thing I "don't like" about it is that I think it would be great if they had included something as simple as an antenna or light mount, or made just enough room to include a High-Lift mount, or some kind of accessory mount to it. But it is what it is, and it looks like it will do exactly what it says it will do!

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
Mantec. For Sw so nice to have the gate move with the door and when adjusted no rattles etc. plus looks factoryish. Agree with the comments above.

CDN38

Although more expensive, I think the Nakatanenga tire carrier is as good as it gets. Stainless steel, powder coated, adjustable for wheel offset, rock solid, no drilling required, mounts to existing holes in the crossmember, compatible with NAS step.

Just the fact is will NEVER rust is worth the additional cost.

Attachments

• AAA.jpg
    AAA.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,626

Toyrover

Ready to pull the trigger on one of the nakatanega tire carriers. My defender is a 1992 and I am about to retrofit a newer style puma rear door. Do I order a tire carrier for post 2002 or pre 2002? I can’t figure if it follows the door or crossmember? Also where do people buy these from, are sdo and Europe same prices?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
the design of the rear doors changed in 2002. The frame work on the early doors was prone to cracking if you mounted the wheel on the door. Depends on your rear door

I like the matecs but they just went out of business.

nas90tdi

I just installed one of the Masai Extra HD on my Tith. I prefer the Mantecs as well, but figured I would give the cheaper one a try. It's greasable and I will give it a 7/10 on quality. It's not perfect and a lot of what I don't like is the shit powder coat. But, I also hate powder coat with a passion, so shit powder coat is really annoying. Seems to be fairly well made for the money, which isn't much. I think around 350.00 to my door.

Toyrover

the design of the rear doors changed in 2002. The frame work on the early doors was prone to cracking if you mounted the wheel on the door. Depends on your rear door

I like the matecs but they just went out of business.

so if i am putting on the rear door of a puma on a 1992 defender, than I buy for the newer style then. Do the mantecs matter for pre or post 2002. It was an option on the Series defender outfitters carrier.

nas90tdi

I don't really have a good picture currently. If it's not raining tomorrow I can get some more. It works fine and doesn't rattle,bind or sag. But, it's got a bit more slop than I like.
Tire is a ZXL 7.50/16

Attachments

• 2017-11-28 17.17.51.jpg
    2017-11-28 17.17.51.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 2017-11-28 17.17.57.jpg
    2017-11-28 17.17.57.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 285

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Ah that's not the one I thought it was, thx tho.

Need something compatable with a drop down tailgate