Stereo Setup for single DIN ROW/NAS

NPT90

So I have been putting together some pieces on this as to what my stereo setup will be.

Lots to consider given the limited space on a defender dashboard.

Basically I have toyed with so many options but have come up with what I think might be the best possible solution:

Alpine Halo 9
g500iLXF309-o_angle_compo.jpg

Seems like at its lowest setting and as forward as possible it might actually sit below the crash pad, which would be a very clean install
Install guide

I believe it will fit in a LR single DIN holder

Few questions, does anyone have a stock LR holder mounted they could approximate angle on? The guide specifies not to install the head unit at any more than 30 degrees can damage the unit

Also it appears you can get the full down travel at a 20 degree screen angle

Basically I am polling for the measurements of anyone who has a single din mounted in their truck currently DIAGRAM

Obviously this is an expensive option. I am considering it primarily because this Alpine head unit supports multiple cameras but also since it has the ability to add:
Sirius Tuner
Alpine KAC-001 Accessory Controller
This controller allows you to add up to 8 relay powered accessories to the radio control interface.

It's interesting in the sense that you could power things like a winch in/out, external lights, things like heated seats and more from a single source vs many switches.

$200 is pretty steep but carling switches aren't free and space is at a premium on the defender dash unless you opt for a mudstuff or similar center console.

Cons:
Obviously Cost. unit is trending at $900.
By the time you add a
(1) Rearview Camera ($100)
(2) Accessory control unit ($200)
(3) Amplifier (none built it, $130)
(4) single Din holder ($50)
(5) associated but often overlooked BS ($100)

this system could easily run you $1500 without components.

However once you start pricing out these things separately it's not a bad one and done project that would modernize any defender

Thoughts?

NPT90

it looks like it would fit perfectly and sit right above the binnacle and take up that useless space above the wire cover

NPT90

yeah I just need to have someone take the angle and the measurements of their single din console before I go too far down the rabbit hole

NPT90

interesting, the price point may be lower there but I appreciate the switching ability on the Alpine unit

Figure I will wait until next year when the price gets cut by a few hundred dollars

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
also site mods, someone needs to do automatic photo resizing for this forum lol

I ran into that the other day to. If you uploaded from a mobile, like I did, changing the size of the uploaded file from "Best" to something smaller makes a huge difference.

NPT90

I know that D-90 automagically resizes images, I presume it's a check box on the site admin page

defender_verde

I think definitely the MUDD center console is the best solution to integrate everything.

Also gives you the most flexibility for stereo installs.

I hate the look of the MUDD center console. I like that the Alpine screen will just float in front of the the otherwise plain dash.

This is another interesting single din option, though (if you want to spend a lot but not get a lot other than the LR name and some basic features)...

jlrclassicinfotainment310818lr02-1.jpg

NPT90

yeah I saw that posted somewhere today. Interesting option but the price is kind of off the wall for what you get.

You could but 2 of the Alpine units and actually be able to see the navigation... that placement and size on the nav renders it relatively useless

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Another option is the tuffy cubby box . Gets the stereo out of the dash and from blocking all that air .

NPT90

Another option is the tuffy cubby box . Gets the stereo out of the dash and from blocking all that air .

same issue with nav, though I suppose at some point you just suck it up and get a phone dock to solve all your problems

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Google maps will always blow any imbedded nav out of the water.

Mag mount for phone seen here

Attachments

• 15365986759381023198383499600034.jpg
    15365986759381023198383499600034.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 229

Red90

Google maps will always blow any imbedded nav out of the water.

Have you used a modern Garmin Nuvi? They are actually a lot better than any phone app I've seen. Clear lane guidance, pictures of the exits and of course work when out of cell range.