New /Rebuilt Transfer Box in My Future

GynormousMellon

I've always had a persistent leak in my transfer box around the inspection plate. No surprise there! Today, I drained the gear oil and pulled off the plate in an attempt to reseal it. Found these nice shiny pieces of metal! I'm guessing it's a bearing. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong. Seems to run great and no issues that I hear. Thinking about resealing everything, filling it with gear oil and running it until it finally craps out, then get a rebuilt or a new one. Thoughts? IMG_20180609_123739.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just make sure the output shaft on your trans is getting lube, otherwise your leaking t-case will commit suicide and take the trans with it. You should be able to pull the inspection plate and get an idea if you have spline wear.

You can definitely run the case until it grenades, I’ve done that before. Nothing like a complete loss of drive combined with that boxer “mouthful of teeth” feeling.

GynormousMellon

Just make sure the output shaft on your trans is getting lube, otherwise your leaking t-case will commit suicide and take the trans with it. You should be able to pull the inspection plate and get an idea if you have spline wear.

You can definitely run the case until it grenades, I?ve done that before. Nothing like a complete loss of drive combined with that boxer ?mouthful of teeth? feeling.

Checked out the T-Box and can't really see where that metal was from. Guess it's a bearing that I can't see? Maybe leftover from a prior rebuild? (Wishful thinking).

I checked where the transmission comes into the T-box and found what I think is the input shaft and gear. (Green arrow). I don't see any wear marks on it. I don't see any wear on any of the gears. I also included some markings on the inspection plate cover if that helps with identifying the T-box.

I also attached an additional pic of the gears.

Attachments

• Input Shaft.jpg
    Input Shaft.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20180609_145925.jpg
    IMG_20180609_145925.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20180609_140539.jpg
    IMG_20180609_140539.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20180609_123739.jpg
    IMG_20180609_123739.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 176

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
The bolts that hold on the inspection plate are open to oil on the rear side. When you reinstall the cover use a fresh gasket with right stuff black on both sides and ARP thread sealer on all the bolts. Will be dry

1of40

“Thinking about resealing everything, filling it with gear oil and running it until it finally craps out”

GynormousMellon

Well, cleaned out the T-Box of any metal shavings, cleaned up the access door and all the bolts. Put a new permatex seal in, put thread sealant on all the bolts along with blue Lock Tight and reassembled. Filled with Amsoil gear oil and took her for a test drive and what do you know....parked it in the garage and no immediate marking of it's territory!!! Fingers crossed that the leak is fixed. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions on fixing the leak!!:)

Now the fun part, see how long it goes before it grenades. Taking bets on the over under mileage when/if it grenades. Current mileage is 90,494. :D

GynormousMellon

What I?m talking about is the splined connectionfrom the trans output shaft to the t-case input gear. You need to pull the round PTO inspection cover - you?ve got the bottom cover off right now. Here is a webpage that explains it pretty well and links to a YouTube video.

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com/land-rover-lt230-input-gear-spline-wear/

I'm going to take a look at the trans output shaft but couldn't do it right now. If it's not getting enough lube, how is this corrected? Is it getting it's lube from the T-Box or the transmission?

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
Figured worth asking here since it's a relevant thread. Other than another Defender or Ashcroft Xfer box, which ones from other models/years specifically will fit. From all the info, I'm a bit confused as to which are direct bolt in, or just need minor parts swap or mods. Thanks.