Cummins Repower ISF 2.8 for Defenders

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
Doug, is the 300 TDI radiator big enough to support the 2.8, or did you go with a custom radiator just to optimise plumbing? Trying to get a sense of how big it needs to be. I agree with you about doing it right once, and the best cooling system is my top priority in my next diesel conversion.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Doug, is the 300 TDI radiator big enough to support the 2.8, or did you go with a custom radiator just to optimise plumbing? Trying to get a sense of how big it needs to be. I agree with you about doing it right once, and the best cooling system is my top priority in my next diesel conversion.

From the install manual that I posted the link to:

The maximum engine temperature is 107? C [225? F]. The engine at full power will generate 60 Kw [3400 BTU/min] of heat. The radiator can dissipate the heat generated by the engine via ambient air flowing through the radiator during vehicle motion, or by pulling the air through radiator cooling fans. Electric fans are controlled by signal lines from the engine control module (ECM).
The radiator/fan system must be designed to enable the vehicle to be used at the ambient temperatures desired and not exceed the 107? C [225? F] maximum engine temperature.
Refer to Procedure 387-009 (Air Intake System) in this section for additional information and measurements to
consider for radiator size and configuration.

Looking @ doing a lhd 110 with r380 stumpy next.

Uncle Douglas

here's the diagram from that same manual

Attachments

• cummins cooling system from manual.jpg
    cummins cooling system from manual.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 479

Red90

Is that with a stock or modified 300 Tdi.

Stock. It is not the radiator size that is the issue, but I would not be putting my 160 hp + engine behind one. If you want to stay Roverish, get an uprated TD5 radiator and intercooler. That gets factory mounting and the intercooler connections are on the correct sides.

brdhmltn

In looking at the several IG posts, the 6l80 swaps are using the puma hood, there is a R380 swap using the standard hood. I?m looking at 6l80 myself right now. Which area (of the fuel rails I assume) is hitting or near it? With stock tc mount does the engine really differ that much up/down between r380 setup and 6l80 or is the front/rear that determines use of puma hood?

Anyone considering stocking the hoods stateside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

It is discussed earlier. With the long gearbox the engine oil cooler hits the steering box. So they are lifting the engine above the steering box. You might avoid it with a P38 box.

brdhmltn

I'm RHD. and it didnt trigger in my brain the R380 swap i looked at was also a RHD. But for a LHD install that's another complication.

bkeef

Few update photos

Found these and thought I?d share. Shows the 2.8 in the truck with welded turbo pipe. Looks like he?ll since we pulled all new painless wiring harness

Mock up of trans tunnel you can see too. Looks like sausage out of the tube now but will take shape later

Fluids up next week and should finally fire off

Attachments

• 56FDBBF9-9366-4561-AB05-370084549B05.jpeg
    56FDBBF9-9366-4561-AB05-370084549B05.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 389
  • A174FC83-79E6-4FCA-BDEC-38A868D9C362.jpeg
    A174FC83-79E6-4FCA-BDEC-38A868D9C362.jpeg
    731.6 KB · Views: 353
  • A87BEE49-8239-4D69-A9C1-D010BAAD8F5C.jpeg
    A87BEE49-8239-4D69-A9C1-D010BAAD8F5C.jpeg
    749.3 KB · Views: 449

donb

Found these and thought I?d share. Shows the 2.8 in the truck with welded turbo pipe. Looks like he?ll since we pulled all new painless wiring harness

Mock up of trans tunnel you can see too. Looks like sausage out of the tube now but will take shape later

Fluids up next week and should finally fire off

That intercooler pipe looks nice! From the pics it looks like you are using the 200tdi IC location. Did you use rw-eng LT230 adapter to connect the AX-15?

Were you able to keep the 200tdi/2.5NA frame mounts in the stock location?

bkeef

That intercooler pipe looks nice! From the pics it looks like you are using the 200tdi IC location. Did you use rw-eng LT230 adapter to connect the AX-15?

Were you able to keep the 200tdi/2.5NA frame mounts in the stock location?

They used the 200tdi IC location and IC for now. I added a vintage air system and we have a powered fan dropping in. They are making a new fan shroud too

I used Axis adapter for the 2.8- NV3500 and the a custom one for NV to 230. 230 is in stock location

Frame mounts I got from Axis of their Jeep builds and welded to LR frame.

The swap wasn?t too bad but lots of little things to figure out. The complete swap of wiring harness took some time but will be worth it.

Uncle Douglas

Spoke with Chris Brown @ Axis today on the new R380 stumpy adapters. Much closer on a finished product just need a couple more measurements. The Cummins/Ashcroft HD stumpy r380 combo will clear left or rhd steering box's and will allow the engine to fit low in the chassis so no hood clearance issues. Plan is for it to be 100% bolt in for an 80's vintage 4cyl lt77 truck, ie no seat box, floors, or tunnel modifications. If you are looking to do one of these yourself please get in touch with Axis. The conversation today was that they will likely only do a small run to cover their and my needs plus a couple extra. The have been doing small runs of 5-6 adapters @ a time for different applications and don't like them sitting on the shelf.

Looks like we have two of these projects mating to stumpys and one to an Lt85 going now. A shop full of red. We ordered 5 of the radiator/intercooler combo's from the manufacturer to gain some economy. Building these is effin fun