LR4 Brake Job Time

1of40

Our first Brake Pad Warning light popped up last night, yay! I?ve hated the OE pads because they throw too much dust. Anyone have good performance out of a non-dust storm set of pads they can share? At only 31K, if the rotors look/feel smooth can I get away with just pads this time around without squealing like a stuck pig?

Ash

As crazy as it may sound, I'm just running the ceramic pads from my local Carquest on my LR3 and the dust has easily dropped 60-70 percent. At that mileage the rotors are probably fine but I would check the book and see what your minimum thickness requirement is.

As for time, I think I did mine for the first time in about four hours, but that was also including new rotors.

-Ash

rlynch356

first time i did both front and rear with Rotors it was about the same amount of time as Ash.. about 4 hours..

For just pads i just did my wifes 2012 Range Rover which uses the same type of brakes and it was about 45 minutes for the front brake pads only. I was quoted $550 to do this, but did it myself for the cost of pads and a brake sensor (about $150 in parts total)

Your rotors are probably fine... they seem to need changing every other set of pads on my LR3.

AdamSanta85

In my years of selling brakes we had good luck with Hawk LTS and Ceramic, Akebono Ceramic, Ferrodo and Mintex OEM style (Check LRDirect for Ferodo and Mintex). Centric stuff is also usually pretty decent.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
You can definitely do just pads, we do it all the time at the dealership. However, I wouldn't on my own car. I usually use all Genuine parts, but I think the best value is aftermarket rotors and Genuine pads.

1of40

Thanks Gents. I’m gonna try just pads this go around assuming the rotor thickness is within spec and there are no ridges yet.

broncoduecer

Technical Excellence Contributor
If you need rotors don't forget the screw that retains the rotor. The first time I did the fronts they got pretty beat up trying to get them out and I didn't have new ones handy.

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
On my LR3, I ran Akebono Pads and Centric rotors on my 1 and only brake change in 100K miles. I honestly did it at 50 just because i thought I was crazy that they were not yet showing. For good measure, I also did the pad wear sensors as they were always a hassle on the LR3.

Good luck.

1of40

Ordered Akebono pads and they arrived with a busted grease packet wedges between two of the pads. On a good note, the store has offered to replace and refund 100%. Shoutout to Advanced Auto!

1of40

Closing the loop. Tackled the brake job today but learned after doing the fronts that the rear was the sensor culprit. My front rotors were not too smooth so I replaced them. The rear rotors were only slightly worn, no ridges, so I just did pads and a new sensor. Not my favorite thing to work on, so hoping I don't need to do this again for a couple years.