Gulf Coast Rovers SS window studs

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Looking for a set of GCR stainless steel window studs.

The AB studs I got just didn't cut it. They aren't milled on the sides so moisture stays trapped and my brand-new studs were seized up in less than six months.

waveridin1959

Did you ever find a source for the Studs? I am about to order some from AB to replace the ones i broke yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_20171220_081738.jpg
    IMG_20171220_081738.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 224

nas90tdi

The ones Chris mentioned are no longer available. Allen closed up shop probably a dozen years ago. They really were a quality product. Far better than what you are going to get anywhere now.
He also made some really great mechanical air locker switches. And, also sold the American Racing steel wheels. I must have bought 15 of those things for 55 bucks each.

I have a couple of sets of GCR studs in my stash, but I am not parting with them.

def90

The AB ones look nice to me. A very tight fit. I used anti-seize hope it works.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 206

Red90

I think that's part of the problem.
The GCR studs had space around them which allowed water to escape.

How? The studs go through a tube built inside the door frame. The nuts tighten on this tube and seal it. If you want to keep water out of the door tube, make sure the door top seal is in good shape.

I'm confused as to what problems people are having. The studs screw into the window frame. The lower threads are out in the open inside the door where they should be safe from the elements.

Jeff B

How? The studs go through a tube built inside the door frame. The nuts tighten on this tube and seal it. If you want to keep water out of the door tube, make sure the door top seal is in good shape.

I'm confused as to what problems people are having. The studs screw into the window frame. The lower threads are out in the open inside the door where they should be safe from the elements.

I never got back to this.
The problem is, they arent safe from the elements and the studs seize up in the door.
Like this...

Attachments

• 6361E738-4038-4C43-8DBB-BD19FB3CC4C5.jpeg
    6361E738-4038-4C43-8DBB-BD19FB3CC4C5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169

Red90

You are misunderstanding what I'm explaining. The GCR studs had flats on the round part that went through the lower door. That does nothing to prevent the threads from seizing in the alloy window frame. I'm pretty sure that the only reason for the flats was to make installing the studs easier as it gave a place for a wrench. Really stainless is a bad choice as it is worse for galvanic corrosion with the aluminum than a zinc plated stud.

What is needed is good anti-seize and seals between the window and door that are in good shape and properly installed. There are drain channels in the seals and the windows that need to be kept clean and clear. When you spray water on the windows, you should see the water flowing out cleanly and not building up in the window channels.

uc4me

Interesting, when I took my tops off for the first time last week (military truck) I didn't have the plastic sleeves or tubes I've read about. However, the studs had a silicon bead around them at the door-top gaskets. On the outside of the door, the gasket was painted over with nato green but still had the necessary gasket cut outs to let water drain. They came off relatively easy.

I've seen where another owner notched out the bottom washers so water wouldn't get trapped if it got in. I'm going with the non-stainless studs and quick release nuts from RN. Debating if I need those plastic sleeves..seemed to work fine without them.

Last edited:

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
As a follow-up to my original post, I replaced my studs with OEM studs and just slathered the crap out of them with anti-seize, re-slathering them every time I put the tops back on. No problems at all.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Embarrassed to say I just realized that when I put on the door cards a few months ago I missed that they didn't have holes to get to the studs.
Greeeeat!